best iem under $150 ($250 max)
Nov 10, 2021 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sound N00b

Head-Fier
As mentioned my preferred budget is under $150 but I am willing to spend up to $250 if there is a real star just above my budget which I would be excluding.

Usage: These are going to be my travel iems which I take everywhere. It doesn't have to be built like a tank but it can't be particularly fragile. My listening times are probably going to be relatively short intervals, 45 minutes on a bus there, 30 waiting in line, 1-2 hours doing some yardwork ect.

Source: These are going to be my on the go beater iems. I do have an amp to drive an iem but 9/10 times I am probably just going to be going through an apple dongle to an iphone 10. It's okay if it sounds better connected to an amp/dac but it has to be able to perform well without one.

What they will be playing: I listen to a lot of hard rock/metal such as led zeppelin and black sabbath but I really will be listening to a bit of everything on this and it can't be particularly bad in any genres. Classical music, lofi hip hop, rap, youtube videos, soulja boy x doom eternal mashup which is better than it has any right to be, really anything.

Personal preference/iems I have tried before. I have some pretty neutral headphones at home so when I am on the go I like to lean towards the fun side for some casual listening. They can be closer to neutral but I don't like cold or overly bright. The bass doesn't have to be highlighted but it has to be competent with adequate sub bass and not recessed. I have tried thieaudio legacy 3's, shuoer tapes, and blon 03's and for headphones I have akg k712's. My favorite has probably been the blon 03's because of their "fun" sound signature, one thing I would have loved to see more of was detail even if the bass had to be sacrificed a bit. The shuoer tapes I had to return because of a fit issue but were alright. The legacy 3's were technically excellent and I genuinely enjoyed but for some reason I can't put my finger on were not my favorite.

Comfort: comfort is more of a must for me than a value. If it doesn't fit well I am not going to enjoy the music no matter how well it sounds.

Iems I have looked at/considering already include: tanchjim hana(new), tanchjim oxygen, moondrop aria, 7hz timeless, moondrop blessing 2 (technically above even my absolute budget but not by much). If you own one of those I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

PS: If you feel like you have deja vu you may be subscribed to r/headphoneadvice

Edit: I have decided to go with the moondrop arias and save up for some decent closed back headphones. There are some situations where I absolutely can't afford the extra bulk of headphones and the aria is no slouch for those times but there were a fair few situations where I could enjoy the numerous benefits closed backs provide, enough to justify getting a pair. The blessing 2 dusks weren't on sale so I have plenty of time to change my mind on those. The timeless 7hz I was a bit hesitant on because they are still relatively new but drop has them on sale for 2 months so if I don't like the arias and people still love the timeless in a couple months that will probably be my next pick.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 9
Just so you know some of the moondrops are going on sale at Shenzhenaudio. I haven't personally heard any but from what I've seen they are great performers for the price and if I was considering a budget IEM I'd go for one of them.

Nov 11, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 9
I'd probably go with the Timeless at that budget (especially given the current 11/11 sales) but I don't have personal experience with them. Seriously considering getting a pair, but I already have a bunch of IEMs that get almost no use...

Nov 11, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 9
I agree with @silent-circuit

I'd buy the 7Hz Timeless. For my ears they are the best IEM under $400 right now. I've had mine for a couple days now and can't stop listening to them.

They need a lot of power to really shine though so if you're not running them on an amp i'd probably suggest something else.

Maybe a Moondrop Blessing 2 or a Dusk.

Nov 11, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 9
I agree with @silent-circuit

I'd buy the 7Hz Timeless. For my ears they are the best IEM under $400 right now. I've had mine for a couple days now and can't stop listening to them.

They need a lot of power to really shine though so if you're not running them on an amp i'd probably suggest something else.

Maybe a Moondrop Blessing 2 or a Dusk.

+1 on a Blessing 2, which is on sale... although $271.99 isn't under $250... The Kato is cheaper but not on sale, not many reviews yet, though.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi guys,

I'm also thinking of buying IEM in this price range. So it comes down to Kato vs. Timeless.

Can anybody compare them?

Thanks!
From what I can see (through fr graphs and other peoples review of them) the kato is a refinement of the same single dd sound that the kxxs, aria, and starfield have been going for but more refined than the rest and the timeless is a whole different animal. Really can't tell you which to go for especially since both are relatively new so the dust hasn't settled for reviews and potential hype trains. Do you have an amp or are willing to buy one? From what I have seen the timeless need a decent amp to perform at it's best while the kato is comparatively easy to run.

Nov 14, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 9
From what I can see (through fr graphs and other peoples review of them) the kato is a refinement of the same single dd sound that the kxxs, aria, and starfield have been going for but more refined than the rest and the timeless is a whole different animal. Really can't tell you which to go for especially since both are relatively new so the dust hasn't settled for reviews and potential hype trains. Do you have an amp or are willing to buy one? From what I have seen the timeless need a decent amp to perform at it's best while the kato is comparatively easy to run.
I have Asgard 3 but I would like to have IEM that I can just plug into phone or laptop I don't wory about the dedicated amp. Regarding the sound, I would like warm/neutral sound. I don't like headphones that fatigue me quickly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back