best IEM to sleep? (better than UM2s)
Dec 10, 2008 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Kn0x

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

Well, I am looking for a IEM that would offer me enough comfort to sleep on it all night and that would not bother me... Right now, I have UM2s, and they are too big, and I loose the sound from one ear depending on how I sleep (I sleep mostly on the side).

I am conserned about SQ but, for those, I wouldn't go to more than 150$. I would like to get something that feels ''more opened'' than my UM2s. (I feel they are lacking highs).

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 52
Klipsch Image X10 are the most comfortable for sleeping, but out of your price range. Klipsch Image X5 might be second to the X10, coming in slighlty larger, slightly cheaper, and with a slightly colder sound (although some prefer it that way).

Not sure what might work for you in the $150 range. I'm going to think on it for a bit.

EDIT: Actually, looks like you *can* snag an X5 in the $150 range ("Klipsch Image X5" in Google Shopping). However, I'd advise getting an answer from someone who actually owns the X5, as I only own the X10.

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kn0x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

Well, I am looking for a IEM that would offer me enough comfort to sleep on it all night and that would not bother me... Right now, I have UM2s, and they are too big, and I loose the sound from one ear depending on how I sleep (I sleep mostly on the side).

I am conserned about SQ but, for those, I wouldn't go to more than 150$. I would like to get something that feels ''more opened'' than my UM2s. (I feel they are lacking highs).

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

i used to own the um2 and found it almost a pleasant compromise between comfort and ergonomics for sleeping. but it meant i could not really relax my head when sleeping on my side. if you have a mid-hard pillow, the audio technica ck10 are very good as they are probably 2/3 the size of the um2 or smaller and still have an angled entry. the tube is shorter too. i use it for sleeping and it works better, however it is not perfect.

on softer pillows that really conform to all contours of my ear, even they will lose seal and the music becomes one sided. i thin there is no perfect: even customs will be problematic.

edit: sorry ck10 are as expensive as the um2 so don't follow my advice. however, the x10 do stick out at strange angles for someone sleeping on his/her side. i would really get a 2nd opinion on that. i have small canals and ears in general and the um2 with its compact body was too much. the ck10 fits entirely inside of the flap of skin over my ear canal and my ear canal. no strange angles.

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 52
I'm concerned about the comfort while sleeping on the side with the image... Wouldn't it push it up and down in my ear canal causing pain?

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 52
the Audio Technica are like 300$ wich is... well, too expensive... but are interesting. Not sure I want to put that kind of money on phones to sleep (I could get sleek customs at that price...).

How about the UM1s? Are they that much smaler than my um2s?

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 52
X10, but they sound blah IMHO!

Westone 3 if $150 means $400
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 52
how are the sleek audio? They seem so small...

Ahd yeah westone 3 aren't getting that much of good reviews so... Gonna stick to my UM2s (even if they lack highs and details).

I just wish I could find something to sleep with, my westones are killing me...

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #10 of 52
I've slept with the X10 on. I just make sure I get a seal by inserting the IEM at an upward angle rather than straight in. This way the X10 rests against the ear rather than sticking out of it.

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 52
both the er4s and the sa6 stuck so far out of my ears that sleeping on my side is not even possible. i cannot roll over 30degrees without pain. the er4s is a bit longer but not as harsh feeling as the sa6.

if you have large canals or ears, maybe but... gernally no way.

the atrio m5 while bit laid flad enough that with a soft pillow they were passable but about the same as the um2.

there are no good or perfect phones for sleeping.

i ammended my ck10 comment as they are 2x the price mentioned by the OP : they are however much more sturdy any any iem on the market, no amount of any sort of sleeping that would not destroy your face would destroy the iem.

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would people want to sleep in their IEMs anyway? Wouldn't that be bad for their ears?

Why would anyone want to sleep with headphones period? That would keep me awake.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back