Best IEM tips?
Jan 5, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #241 of 3,236
Actually, according to the material in Japanese, it`s silicon on the outside and silicon foam on the inside.  The new Sony tips are much softer, more pliable that their previous silicon-over-foam design, the Noise Isolation tips.  Those Noise Isolation tips were as `hard` or `stiff` as comply foamies, which for some people might work.  They never did for me.  I could get a seal with the Noise Isolations, but after a time they would become uncomfortable, pressing outward on my ear canal.  The new Triple Comfort Sony tips are much more comfortable for me with the softer silicon foam inside and the flexible joint in the sound tube.  I still get the best seal on my right ear from Spinfits, but for the left ear it`s a draw between the Triple Comfort and the Spinfit....  

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #242 of 3,236
I never listen for more than an hour at a time.  No Comply has ever irritated my ears.  They are nice and soft- Comply's seem stiffer, these are soft without being as thin as regular Spiral Dots.  The info on them says silicon outer with foam inner and a hard center that goes over the iem nozzle.  The silicon certainly looks different than my Spiral Dots.  It almost looks like foam, but sure doesn't feel like it.

Really, with tips, you need to try them, as what you like might not be what I am describing.  I've got bags of tips that I've tried and found wanting.  All I can say is that these, to me, seem to give more heft and timbre without sacrificing mids and upper end.  I went walking with them today, I think the mediums are going to be a better fit when they arrive.  

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #243 of 3,236
Anyone knows how to get ortofon eartips to Singapore? If anyone would be so kind as to send one for free or trade with spiral dots that would be great. Pm pls

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #245 of 3,236

In my experience silicone tips are a good medium for balancing iso with awareness of external sounds. Naturally this may vary based on the manufacturer and your ear canal shape. I like the keep things a bit less isolated too since I wear IEM's most of the day, and find that silicone has the added benefit of increased comfort and easier cleaning (especially versus foam). 

My suggestion would be to look for those silicone tips that are more cylindrical ("longer" rather than just semi-spherical). Good luck in your search.

Sadly I'm throwing in the towel. I'm done with IEMs for day to day use...I have been totally floored by how well earbuds sounds. I use the monk+ as my day to day headphones and zen 2 for proper listening in quiet environments.

The only time I use any of my iems is when I'm on a flight or some noisy environment and I don't need any situational awareness.

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #246 of 3,236
Sadly I'm throwing in the towel. I'm done with IEMs for day to day use...I have been totally floored by how well earbuds sounds. I use the monk+ as my day to day headphones and zen 2 for proper listening in quiet environments.

The only time I use any of my iems is when I'm on a flight or some noisy environment and I don't need any situational awareness.

What abt ciems

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #248 of 3,236
I haven't had any experience with ciems, but given the cost I expect they will fix many of the issues I had with iems. Still, for me, the cost of entry is a little too high.

Not necessarily. U could also get custom sleeves for your iem. Those are much cheaper

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #249 of 3,236
If ciems can relieve me of that congested feeling I get with standard iems then they are definitely worth exploring. What is the cost of getting such tips? And what difference would there be in sound with the fully customized iems?

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #250 of 3,236
If ciems can relieve me of that congested feeling I get with standard iems then they are definitely worth exploring. What is the cost of getting such tips? And what difference would there be in sound with the fully customized iems?

What do you mean by congested?
The sleeves will not perform as well as a fully custom iem but it is 80%.
If there are any issues with ear pressure, u may want to sell your iems and look into either empire adel iems or 64 audio iems

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #251 of 3,236
Back to the topic, I got my medium tips from Japan today and, as I hoped, they give me a much better seal than did the smalls.  Quick delivery as well.  They cost $15 for a pair, from Japan, but as I said, quick free delivery.

Note:  I just switched from an AK 120ll to an AK 240SS and these tips really bring out the best from the AKs (using my Angies).  I had to back off the bass pots a bit (3pm to 2pm) when I plugged into the 240SS.  

(Not my photo, from Dopaminer page 16- thanks)

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #252 of 3,236
In one of the posts about Earphone Tips, there was an admonition to not use Alcohol or Bleach type wipes to clean them.  I'm wondering if anyone on this thread has tried the non-bleach Hydrogen Peroxide type of wipes, and whether they're safe for the various metals, plastics, and silicone / foams used in earphones & tips?   Thanks! 

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #254 of 3,236

Users who are viewing this thread

Back