Best IEM for listening to classical choral music
Nov 12, 2008 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rmt5

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody. I currently have a pair of the CX-300s, and I'm looking to upgrade.

I listen to almost exclusively renaissance choral music. There are no instruments, only voices. Many of the recordings are done live, in very resonant, cathedral like settings. The melodic lines are very complex, with many parts woven together in complex rhythms, and different words at different times. The soprano lines are often soaring and straight tone (almost sin-wave like), and have frequently caused feedback in previous headphones or speakers I've used. Basically, I probably need an IEM with very good highs and mids, great soundstage, and, and extremely clear, detailed, accurate reproduction (bass not so important).

Oddly, I do almost no listening to instrumental classical music, so that needn't be a concern. For secondary listening, I enjoy some very treble-y rock and also hip-hop.

Any suggestions?

My only stipulations are that the wires are the same length (unlike my current CX-300, where one cord is meant to go around the neck), and ideally that they'd be under 150 dollars or so.

Thanks so much in advance!

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 4
Look for some used Etymotic ER 4Ps - you could definitely get those for $150, and for the price they are definitely on top of detailed mids and highs with nice treble. Alternative is its baby brother the ER 6i

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 4
Yeah etymotics for classical for sure

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 4
Absolutely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back