best IEM for audiophile sound with perfect bass to satisfy preference
Jan 21, 2011 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

vcjha

New Head-Fier
Alright so I have the pleasure of getting the headphones of my choice because my friend broke my $80 pair.  So there's my price range.  I referred to joker's LONG 134 IEM thread but then realized that his rating is based on as close as an headphone can get to actual sound, in other words, a relatively flat frequency.  Thing is I'd love to pick out a pair of headphones that is perfect on the lows, mids,and highs, with all the definitions an audiophile can throw at it, smoothness, warmth, good soundstage, etc. but with one condition: the bass is the most powerful, clean, clear, and deep sound it can possibly be.  I absolutely cannot stand distortion, rumble, or tapping(I'm basing off the car stereo since I'm not experienced enough to detect musical errors in IEM's yet though I am trying my best to learn.  But rumbling to me is when the bass vibrates the roof, which I think is distortion at it's worst, and tapping is to me when the bass is so harsh it makes a pop sound, like someone in the trunk was tapping on my speakers.  Can anybody help me on this?  I know it was absolutely idiotic to ask for someone's opinion on the jaybird bluebuds, and I apologize.  But I really am looking forward to hearing music like an audiophile does with the added clean powerful bass I thoroughly enjoy provided someone helps me with advice.  So thanks to anyone who replies:)

Jan 21, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 11
Try Playaz Audio Xears from Germany.
XT120Pro and Turbo Devices. They are very good in all. Meelectronics M6 you should like too.
Also you can find Monster Turbine for little more money and 2 driver ba Ultimate Ears 700, they are very good.

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 11
I don't agree with BerkovaJazz, BA (balanced armature) drivers generally lack the bassresponse you can get from dynamic drivers. Most BA IEMs are analytical. And since you're pretty clear on the fact that you want bass I'd skip the BA's altogether. 

The following IEMs are inbetween $50-$130 and have a bass-heavy signature while still receiving a lot of good reviews on their performance in rest of the spectrum:

Fischer Audio Eterna, Fischer Audio Genesis, Hippo VB, Brainwavz M2, ECCI PR401, Radius DDM, Denon AH-C710 among others. Sounds like you'd probably like the ATH-CK90pro or Turbines as well but those are >$200

I have only heard my sub-$130 suggestions though and can't comment on the sound of the ATH or Turbine IEMs. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
I don't agree with BerkovaJazz, BA (balanced armature) drivers generally lack the bassresponse you can get from dynamic drivers. Most BA IEMs are analytical. And since you're pretty clear on the fact that you want bass I'd skip the BA's altogether. 

The following IEMs are inbetween $50-$130 and have a bass-heavy signature while still receiving a lot of good reviews on their performance in rest of the spectrum:

Fischer Audio Eterna, Fischer Audio Genesis, Hippo VB, Brainwavz M2, ECCI PR401, Radius DDM, Denon AH-C710 among others. Sounds like you'd probably like the ATH-CK90pro or Turbines as well but those are >$200

I have only heard my sub-$130 suggestions though and can't comment on the sound of the ATH or Turbine IEMs. 
Thanks Nega.  Some of these are already mentioned in joker's thread so I will reference his thread and make my final decision.  One more thing: is ebay reliable to make a purchase?  Due to the stories I hear now, I kind of shun ebay unless they're really cheap items I'm looking to buy.

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 11
there are many BA headphones with high quality, extended, powerful, and visceral bass response such as the UM3X and Triple.Fi. However, these are outside of your budget. You might be able to find a Triple.Fi for $150 new or lower if used. I don't think that $80 gives you that many options. You may try some of the MEelectronic products such as the M9. It is a very bassy headphone, but they will meet your distortion, rumble, or tapping requirements. Another option is the Monster Turbines when on sale at Amazon.com.

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 11
While it's way out of the price range mentioned, this sounds like a perfect description of the Sensaphonics 3MAX sound signature -- linear and detailed through mids and highs, with extra push on the bottom end and the headroom to handle it without distortion. A really fun listen.

Good luck on your search.

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
there are many BA headphones with high quality, extended, powerful, and visceral bass response such as the UM3X and Triple.Fi. However, these are outside of your budget. You might be able to find a Triple.Fi for $150 new or lower if used. I don't think that $80 gives you that many options. You may try some of the MEelectronic products such as the M9. It is a very bassy headphone, but they will meet your distortion, rumble, or tapping requirements. Another option is the Monster Turbines when on sale at Amazon.com.
I might try it out.  m9 was the first one I was looking at when I saw joker's thread til going for more got the best of me.  I thought I'd settle on a 5 out of 10 but I eventually went for 8 out of 10.  A week later, I realized joker evaluates off a flat equalizer sound.

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
While it's way out of the price range mentioned, this sounds like a perfect description of the Sensaphonics 3MAX sound signature -- linear and detailed through mids and highs, with extra push on the bottom end and the headroom to handle it without distortion. A really fun listen.

Good luck on your search.
Thank you.  When I have enough money probably 3 years down the road, I'll probably try jh 16 pro.  I heard Jerry made those specifically to incoporate deeper bass.  So far, the best ones hands down for any audiophile I've heard are jh 13 pro or the ue reference monitors.  The reference monitors are steve guttenberg's favorite atm.

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 11

... Alright - for Quality Bass, sub-bass frequencies, you'd choose shure SE 846 rather than W60 albeit the latter has better presence, percussions, imaging. I don't like borderline brightness & sibilance - this make extended listening Tiresome...

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 11
  Man, this thread has been dead for 4 long years. How do you even manage to find these dead threads in the first place?

biggrin.gif
 [LOL] I was looking for a very worthy thread reference for a high end iem, just typed in the search box.... was looking for user comments on 1964 v8, SE 846 & W60, I didn't notice the date until I submitted...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back