Best IEM for acoustic music: Ety ER-4P / UE Triple Fi / Klipsch Image / Shure SE530?
Aug 4, 2008 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Zafonic

Head-Fier
Hi everyone

I currently have the Etymotics ER-6i and wish to upgrade.

To give an idea of the music I listen to - well, I am not a bass-head and don't listen to R&B, hip-hop, heavy metal, or electronica.

My favourite music is more acoustic, vocal and rock. The ER-6i are great for clarity but I am looking for some IEMs that will take the quality that step further with even more clarity, depth and power......just sound quality that will take my breath away I guess!

The natural thing to do is to get the Etymotics ER-4P. However, for a bit more money I can get the other big guns like the Shure SE530s, Klipsch Images and UE Triple Fi.

What I am wondering is are certain IEMs suited to a specific type of music?

For example, will the SE530s and UEs be better for bass-heavy songs and not offer the amazing clarity for songs with more acoustic emphasis? Or are they just better in every department?

Any advice would be appreciated - I realise most people prefer bass and I do as well, it's just that I need the bass to be punchy and clean, and not overpowering.

Thanks

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 40
From yr description, you must check out Ety ER-4P. Good clean, deep bass that doesn't wobble your tonsils or swamp mids etc....put a pair of Shure olive tips with them & you'll be set.

Between UE & Shure, I'd definitely go UE, but I do think the bass of Triple Fi can sometimes, with some music, be too much (like you, I'm no basshead). Due to their bass & mids-prominence, I would not recommend SE530.

And there's always Sleek SA6 w/ their tuneable bass/treble ports.

ps.... Welcome to Head Fi!

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #5 of 40
NSX - thanks and you're right, my wallet won't be a pretty sight when I do splash out on an upgrade!

Stevie - thanks for your advice...I am new to the IEM world and it really is a minefield deciding which ones to get.

I was able to try the Shure SE210s from the Apple Store in London but didn't think the clarity was great for the money. After giving them back I bought the Etymotics, which although cheaper, sound clearer and alive.

Do the Shure foam buds give a better fit than the foam ones that come with the Etymotics? (I didn't know that they would fit another brand either)

Thanks for the warm welcome.....I am in London too (work about 15 mins walk from the Apple store!)

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #7 of 40
Argh...the Apple Store! Avoid
wink.gif

A friend bought his first Shures from an Apple place -charged him top dollar (almost £100 for 210s!)

The ER-4 foams are very, very good. I just like the sheer ease of use & hard-wearing-ness of the olives.

The ER-4 improve on the 6 series (good tho they are -I have Er-6) by leagues IMHO...incredible VFM.

Edit\ olives can last for months on a single pair. Easily washable and very comfy. If there were an award for superb tips, olives should have it.

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #9 of 40
I haven't tried the others but the ER4 is really superb for acoustic music (which is what I do). and pretty good for everything else too IMO.

i'm using westone comply tips on my ER4S, they were easier to get in deep and more comfy than the olives, tho the olives do look durable.

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 40
I do think Complys are good (tho nowhere near as longlasting as olives), but cosmetically they get so yucky in such a short time. The grey foam highlights ear wax stains....If only they made them in black!

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #11 of 40
LOL! I've noticed that many people hate ipods but I have a feeling that may be due to itunes than the actual product itself. I have a Mac so the natural step was to buy an ipod and I can't say I'm disappointed with it. Btw - the SE210s are £100 - that's what I paid, knowing that Apple do a no quibble refund policy on all their headphones.

Ok, I shall try the olives with my ER-6is, now that I know they also fit Etymotics!

It's reassuring to hear that you think the ER-4Ps are significantly better than the 6s. The price isn't bad either; considering the ER4Ps are £100 cheaper than the SE530s I don't know if this price difference represents the difference in quality...

Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Argh...the Apple Store! Avoid
wink.gif

A friend bought his first Shures from an Apple place -charged him top dollar (almost £100 for 210s!)

The ER-4 foams are very, very good. I just like the sheer ease of use & hard-wearing-ness of the olives.

The ER-4 improve on the 6 series (good tho they are -I have Er-6) by leagues IMHO...incredible VFM.

Edit\ olives can last for months on a single pair. Easily washable and very comfy. If there were an award for superb tips, olives should have it.

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #12 of 40
Whoa now...I don't know if olives fit 6i! They do fit ER-4 is all I can guarantee!

BTW, if you want to hear ER-4P/S before you choose, I could bring em down for you to try during a lunchbreak...

ER-4P/s vs SE530? For me, no contest! Ety every time.

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #13 of 40
I loved my ER6 when they still worked properly, but I found myself getting bored with them after a while, especially listening to stuff like Jazz. I don't know, but for some types of music they didn't work out that well for me.

Still a great set of IEMs overall though. I was seriously considering the ER4S before buying SF5pros. I may still get a set of ER4S if I can find a decent pair at a good price....

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #14 of 40
Ok - I'm holding my horses!
tongue.gif
I'd better do some resaerch to see if they actually do fit before I buy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW, if you want to hear ER-4P/S before you choose, I could bring em down for you to try during a lunchbreak...

That would be great - thanks! It would give me a direct comparison between my ER-6is and your 4Ps. I'll send you a PM with my contact details.

Cheers!
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back