Best IEM for 300 bucks?
Jan 26, 2009 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Young Spade

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently have the super.fi 5s and want an increase in overall SQ. I am going to have 300 bucks to spend online for a good IEM.

I listen to all types of music, but mostly new age, acoustic, and rock.

Any suggestions? I was looking at the Westone UM2 phone for 300 and they seem pretty good.

EDIT: Just saw that I can get the Shure 530s for 319 over at headroom. Think I should go up on that offer?

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm sure if you look around you could find any universal fit IEM for $300 or thereabouts. The W3 is commonly selling for just over $300, and the SE530 is now retailing for under $300. The IE8 is the wild card here, but I've seen it go on the FS forum for well under $300 if you buy it off someone from the UK.

(And yes, I left off the Triple.fi 10, but you can find that easily for under $300 as well)

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have the super.fi 5s and want an increase in overall SQ. I am going to have 300 bucks to spend online for a good IEM.

Any suggestions? I was looking at the Westone UM2 phone for 300 and they seem pretty good.

EDIT: Just saw that I can get the Shure 530s for 319 over at headroom. Think I should go up on that offer?

I had UM2s for almost 3 years & loved 'em. They were recently replaced by W3s. For that price I still think they (UM2s) have the best combo of sound, comfort, reliability, & ease of maintenance. Developed for stage use so they are BUILT TO TAKE IT. Light. Stealthy. HiFi. Mine were handed down to a deserving family member with a new Nano4G. Wish my W3s came in clear. Good luck.

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you want a truly "balanced" IEM then go for the Shure SE530.

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 7
You can get IE8s for 230 at NCIXUS.com now. They are an amazing headphone, on par or above the shures and W3s depending on who you talk to. This is also an amazing price. You may have to wait a week or so before shipping, as they have been going out of stock fast due their price, however, i think its worth it.

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 7
Im selling a set of new shure se530's that i used for two days before buying the IE8's cause im a basshead. PM me if your interested

Users who are viewing this thread

Back