Best Hip Hop cans?
Apr 1, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 37
fool, i best think you git some DT770's
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 37
The Beyerdynamics DT700s or ATH-A500s all the way man...

I currently use the A500s, and for $99, they have some EXTREME bass...in iTunes I can put on a rap track & crank the bass in the EQ and cans litterally shake...you can feel them moving w/ the bass. It's awesome man.

Apr 2, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 37
I third the DT770, they are the best bass headphones I have ever tried. The high are a little on the bright side, but overall a very good headphone for the money. But you will need a good amp to power this hungry headphones, without a good amp they sound light and dont have the punch that they are capable.

Apr 2, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 37
From what I can gather it would have to be between the:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO.
Beyerdynamic DT 770.
Beyerdynamic DT 250-250.
AKG K271 Studio.
Beyerdynamic DT 250-80.
Audio-Technica ATH-A900.
Audio-Technica ATH-A500.

I assume you're not happy with the bass on your
AKG K271 Studio's, since they appear to be very source/amp dependent from what I have read here. Mine are on the way so hopefully I'll be happy with them, but I'm not after bloated bass.

My next choice would be the ATH-A900 or ATH-A500, but some people seem to really like the Beyer 770 because of it's exagerated bass. Personally, I think it would bother me so I would go for one of the Audio Technica's.

Apr 2, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by sleepkyng
the akg's were great cans, but they weren't the quintessential hip hop cans.

i'm thinking big, tight bass.

solid warm midrange (for the funky stuff)

more colored than analytical, nah mean?
tongue.gif

Sounds like you want the Audio-Technica ATH-A900 or A500 to me. The others worry me in the midrange and highs. I may have to get some A500's to try out.

Apr 2, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #12 of 37
It's been said over and over again.

You better get the DT 770. Nothing else will satisfy the bass freak. No other cans come close in bass output. Take it from someone that has one.

Also, if you're a true bass freak, you won't be bitten by the headfi bug. You won't need to buy other cans.

Apr 2, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #13 of 37
Out of all the cans I've heard I've settled on the DT531 as the best headphone for hip-hop & rap. First of all the comfort is better than the DT770 and K240S; the silver velour earpads and light headband means a nearly invisible fit. While the DT770 has more bass, it can simply be overpowering and distracting (even for the bassiest rap) and the mids sound recessed while the treble is a bit too harsh for me (its headband also cause me some grief after a couple hours). The K240S is less comfortable than the DT531 due to its pleather pads and slightly annoying headband. The K240S has arguable equal bass (I prefer the DT531's more controlled bass but some may prefer the K240's more powerful bass). I can't use the DT770 for anything because of its extremely unbalanced sound - there is plenty of hip-hop that benefits from the detail and sweet midrange that the DT531 and K240S provide. Considering the absence of the DT531 in the US (I had to buy it used for more than retail) the K240S is a very appropriate replacement (some may even prefer its sound). The DT770 may "wow" you initially with the sheer volume of bass, but the DT531 and K240S are much easier to live with in the long run and groove even better - the groove is the most important aspect of hip hop, IMO. Some hip-hop albums I've been enjoying with my DT531:

The Low End Theory (A Tribe Called Quest)
Like Water for Chocolate (Common)
The Platform (Dilated Peoples)
The Chronic (Dr. Dre)
Haiku d'Etat (Haiku d'Etat)
Full Circle (Hieroglyphics)
AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted (Ice Cube)
Straight Outta Compton (N.W.A)
Ozomatli (Ozomatli)
Doggystyle (Snoop Doggy Dogg)

There area many moments on these and other albums that benefit not only from great groovalizer bass, but also from clear midrange and extended treble. One would be very happy with the K240S and DT531.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back