Best Hip-Hop Albums - This Decade
Jun 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #46 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhashenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a side note nothing "Lil" can make this list.

I dislike generalization but in this case I'd have to agree as I can't think of any examples that can counter this
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #47 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a single vote for Aesop Rock?

I seriously considered him, and then opted against it. But you're right:

Aesop Rock - Labor Days

Also, how did I forget:

Akrobatik - Balance

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #49 of 71
*sigh* "slim pickins"... I dunno. I don't get into the underground scene as much as I should, but I def agree with this. I see a lot of love for Common - Be, am I the only one that liked Finding Forever? And Mos Def - True Magic is pretty fu**in dope too. You guys mind explainin why you don't like em, I'd really be interested to know.

On a side note, I youtubed Deltron 3030 and this is pretty phat. The production is pretty ill. I might have to get one of these albums. As for Talib, he could never beat Reflection Eternal for me. That album is so raw. "like slaves on the ship, Arguin about who got the flyest chain..." Oh, and the Outro/For Women, I went out and bought a Best Of Nina Simone album, and lemme tell you he just murdered that track. Some days I'll listen to it back-to-back for like an hour. Whew.

The Roots - Best Of (J.Period Mixtape)

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #50 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Akrobatik - Balance

A fine, fine album…

About Mos Def…since The New Danger, to me, his stuff has seemed kinda tossed off, more like music as a revenue stream. The second time I caught his big band, though (last year, when Gil Scott-Heron showed up), it felt like he was kinda goin' for stuff again.

Oh, and Common's Finding Forever is also great, but I dunno…for some reason I just can't get excited about Common anymore.

Jun 30, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #51 of 71
I found Finding Forever formulaic and uninspired, both in terms of his rhymes, and the production he got. I thought Tru3 Magic was too inconsistent and sloppy.

Jun 30, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #52 of 71
I been listenin to True Magic a lot lately and it has a lot of recurring themes and good continuity that I just didn't hear the first few times I listened. I dunno man, I put it right up there with Black On Both Sides and Black Star. The whole album gives me "Thieves In The Night" vibe, which was my favourite track on that album, so maybe that has something to do with it. And the reason I like Finding Forever is because I get a real old school, Ressurection vibe from it: maybe that does make it formulaic and uninspired but its what I been looking for and was very happy to find

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #57 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and Common's Finding Forever is also great, but I dunno…for some reason I just can't get excited about Common anymore.

True. Common ennui, a common affliction, which I share. Consistently good headgear though.

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #58 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About Mos Def…since The New Danger, to me, his stuff has seemed kinda tossed off, more like music as a revenue stream. The second time I caught his big band, though (last year, when Gil Scott-Heron showed up), it felt like he was kinda goin' for stuff again.

Followup: Perhaps I spoke too soon…I'm hearing that Mos Def's new thing, The Ecstatic, is excellent. Don't have it yet, though, so stay tuned…
popcorn.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #59 of 71
The Ecstatic is excellent, 2nd best Hip-Hop album I've heard this year. Doesn't go back to his old style, it can be abstract and kind of non-linear, but I think it's consistently strong, and Mos does a great job just melding with the production 100%.

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #60 of 71
Some that havnt been listed and need some recognition

Sadat X- Black October
Phorahe Monch- Desire
Jay-Z- American Gangster
Clipse- Lord Willin
Game- The Documentary
50 Cent- Get Rich Or Die Tryin
Xzibit- Restless
Kanye West- All
Wyclef Jean- The Carnival II
AZ- A.W.O.L.
De La Soul- AOI: Bionix & Mosaic Thump
Beanie Sigel- The B. Coming
De La Soul- The Grind Date
Busta Rhymes- The Big Bang
Hi-Tek- Hi-Teknology1-3
Public Enemy- How To Sell You Sould To People Who Sold Their Soul
Lil Wayne- The Carter III
Termanology- Da Cameo King
Phife Dawg- Ventalation
Prodigy- The Return Of The Mac
Fabolous- Ghetto Fabolous
UGK- Underground Kings
Big Noyd- The Stick Up Kid
Statik Selektah- Spell My Name Right
Talib Kweli- Ear Drum
Fat Joe- Elephant In The Room
Lloyd Banks- Hunger For More
Scarface- Emeritus
KRS-One- Kristyles
Erick Sermon- Music
Ice Cube- Laugh Now Cry Later
Young Jeezy- The Recession
T.I.- Paper Trail
Dead Prez- Lets Get Free
Kids In The Hall- The In Crowd
Jadakiss- Kiss Tha Game Goodbye, Kiss Of Death

Just a couple that you should deff check out no matter what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back