Best high capacity MP3 Player?
Nov 2, 2008 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Bones55

New Head-Fier
I have over 100 gigs of music, and I'm in the market for a new portable setup. I have a 30 gig Zen Vision M, which I love dearly, but it's got no space left.

So, what's the best high capacity MP3 player? I don't really care about cost, I plan on getting a quality headphone amp to go with it, since my CMOY is not longer cutting it.

Thanks!

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 17
Pacemaker, Zune or iPod Classic.
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 17
If using a quality amp, iPod (but a good LOD is necessary. I got one from Lil Knight and it is great with both the 5.5g iPod and the Touch). If not, I favor the Zune sound sig using HP out.

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 17
I've read that the newer iPod "classic" (6th gen) uses a DAC that is worse than the Wolfson DAC in the 5th gen. I own a 5th gen 30 gig but I need more space. Not sure if I'd want to sacrifice sound quality for storage space though...

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If using a quality amp, iPod (but a good LOD is necessary. I got one from Lil Knight and it is great with both the 5.5g iPod and the Touch). If not, I favor the Zune sound sig using HP out.

Ok, I have to ask . Have you actually listened to the Zune amped using a mini cable from the HP out to the amp. I've been amping my Zunes(I have more than one) for some time now & as nice as it sounds straight from the Zune , it is absolutely no match for the amped Zune. I suppose I'm a bit guilty of being lazy & not comparing my 8g Nano LODed to my Zen Head ZH1(It's not totally my fault though ,as the LOD I purchased from an advertiser here was'nt functional & I have'nt taken the the time to get it fixed) to the amped Zune. Since you have an LOD that does work, (& if you have'nt done so already) could you do a comparison ? Thanks.

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 17
x2, 3 or something on the iPod Classic.
A really nice high capacity DAP.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read that the newer iPod "classic" (6th gen) uses a DAC that is worse than the Wolfson DAC in the 5th gen. I own a 5th gen 30 gig but I need more space. Not sure if I'd want to sacrifice sound quality for storage space though...

Well, I have the ipod nano 4g, which apparently uses the same cirrus logic chip (forgive me if I'm spreading blasphemy). I have the 5g, and the 5g is absolutely the sound signature that I prefer. There's nothing 'wrong' with the ipod 4g nano's sound, but I still don't love her. It's not a matter of adjusting my ears.

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KromaXamorK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pacemaker, Zune or iPod Classic.
biggrin.gif

Where did you get that Pacemaker has outstanding SQ? I mean, I would've bought this thing if it really sounds like #1 DAP.

No place to check out it's SQ here in Russia...

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #11 of 17
I think some company needs to make a really great hdd based player with upgradeable 1.8in harddrive.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back