BEST hi-fi closed portable/in-ear/canal
Aug 27, 2004 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
In my quest for something that's closed and portable enough to exercise with I discovered on this forum the Sharp MD-33, which I don't have yet because it seems to have a 50/50 opinion on this board.

I know there have been lots of threads on this topic here, but my question is simple. I'm looking for something closed AND portable, with the BEST damn sound quality possible. Sound quality is my main criteria. I want to have the flattest frequency response possible and hear even the smallest details, no muddying up of the mids, crystal-clear highs, enough oomph for the lows. If possible I want an audio experience that'll rival what my roommate's Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 speakers can do. Seriously.

Throw out some suggestions and I'll look into them, no matter what the cost. No price is too high! I want to know what's available out there!
smily_headphones1.gif
High-end only! I don't want any recommendations that cost less than $100!

Aug 27, 2004 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 14
Aug 27, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 14
in ear buds look at

Etymotic
ER6
ER4P

Shure
E2c
E3c
E5c

or if you want really exotic - UE-10's

but to get a bit of aidea at what your looking go and have alook at ww.headphone.com and a run through thier seltor section, its got good info and will give you a good knowledge base to work from.

Aslo you might want to specify an upper limit in this place
smily_headphones1.gif
the UE-10's are around the $1000 mark

600smile.gif

Aug 27, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Having owned Klipsch Promedia's, I think it's safe to say if you get any high-end canalphones they will blow your expectations away.

LOL, yeah even the E2's should smoke the ProMedia's...
biggrin.gif

Though, I think the E5 would would really blow you away!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fbleagh
Aslo you might want to specify an upper limit in this place
smily_headphones1.gif
the UE-10's are around the $1000 mark

Ok, well make it $500 then.
wink.gif

Oh and I'd like to know how all these in-ear phones (the Etymotics, Shure, Sensaphonic, UE5) stack up. Could anyone list them in order of sound quality? And out of curiosity, is the MD-33 almost as good as the E2c or ER6? (in terms of sound quality only)

Aug 29, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Could anyone list them in order of sound quality?

Ha, ha. This thread is sure to start some arguments.

I think the only way to say it is this: Each brand of IEM has a unique style of sound, and it's going to depend on your priorities. Some prefer Shure's sound to that of the Etymotics, and vice-versa. But they're both at the upper end of the non-custom IEM market.

And the ER4 and the E5c are the flagship models for Ety and Shure, so to the majority of ears they'd sound better than their less expensive models. (Though there are exceptions to this - some do prefer the particular sound of a lower-end (less expensive) model - lucky them!)

It's going to depend somewhat on the type of music you like, how you encode your audio, what player(s) you use, whether you're willing to use an amp, how much bass you like, how much treble, etc., etc., etc. Your best bet will be to browse through the many arguments which've taken place over this issue, and see which side seems to best represent your taste.

Then, buy it from a place with a return policy.
smily_headphones1.gif

etysmile.gif

Aug 29, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

If possible I want an audio experience that'll rival what my roommate's Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 speakers can do. Seriously.

Promedia's sound like crap...directional subwoofers that couldn't play deep bass if their life depended on it, high crossover for the satellites resulting in no warmth in the mids. ugh.

Get a proper 2 channel system with an integrated amp and a pair of full range speakers and give those Promedia's a good kick in the balls for what they deserve.

Aug 29, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
I know there have been lots of threads on this topic here, but my question is simple. I'm looking for something closed AND portable, with the BEST damn sound quality possible. Sound quality is my main criteria.

From the many HD25-1 threads that showed up lately, they sound like best phones for portable use. I only have the sp version
frown.gif
which are quite good but fall below what your budget permits.

Aug 29, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
I know there have been lots of threads on this topic here, but my question is simple. I'm looking for something closed AND portable, with the BEST damn sound quality possible. Sound quality is my main criteria. I want to have the flattest frequency response possible and hear even the smallest details, no muddying up of the mids, crystal-clear highs, enough oomph for the lows. If possible I want an audio experience that'll rival what my roommate's Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 speakers can do. Seriously.

Based on my personal experience, I would suggest Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro. They are supposed to have a very flat frequency response (but it's not that important, no flames about it please) and pretty much everything you're after. You can read about them in my review (in my signature). I might add that my UE-10 rival my Dynaudio 5.1 speaker system (Audience 72, Audience 42C, 2xAudience 42W, Audience Sub 20-A) and *that* is saying something over that Klipsch thing you mentioned.
wink.gif

It's interesting that Audience 72 three drivers/two way approach closely mimics UE-10's.

Aug 29, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 14
Of course, I would recommend Sensaphonic 2X-S first, with UE-10 Pro a close second next to it. However, both of them are way beyond and above your $500 range still..
wink.gif

For below $500, you should probably try either the Ety ER-4 and Shure E5c first. Ety ER-4 has weak bass (you can hear all the notes, but very little impact from the bass), but it has very high perceived clarity level. Although this clarity is arrived by reducing a lot of microdynamics (such as decay and reverberation), some people really like the way it presents the rising note details. Shure E5c is the other way around, where it sounds very natural, but not quite articulate enough for some people, but the bass is strong and kicking.

Ultimate Ears UE5c is very close to your price range (about $600 when it's all said and done), and although I haven't tried it myself, by all indication it sounds like a Shure E5c with improved treble, thus giving it more perceived detail and still the same strong bass as the Shure E5c.

Aug 30, 2004 at 9:40 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
Of course, I would recommend Sensaphonic 2X-S first, with UE-10 Pro a close second next to it. However, both of them are way beyond and above your $500 range still..
wink.gif

Whoops! Missed the upper limit! Well, in this case Lindrone has got it nailed down. If you can stretch your expense a little bit, you probably ought to go with UE5c. Otherwise, it's E5 or Etys. But in that case you would be probably sacrificing either details or bass hoomp as you call it
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back