Best headset for around £50-65 ($80-ish)
Mar 26, 2013 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Whelan

New Head-Fier
I currently use Turtle beach x11's, I haven't seen any opinions on the forums about these but they are probably all bad, but I actually think it's a good headset, well constructed, extremely good mic and decent enough sound.

Anyway I like high quality music, like 320kbps, I have a Xonar DGX and with the turtle beaches, listening to that kind of music loud enough just doesn't work, I'm not an audiophile so I don't know about mids or highs or whatever but it just sounds distorted and like it's missing certain notes or something in the background.

So yeah I want to upgrade, I was thinking Steelseries 7h, Siberia V2's or even Razer's new Kraken Pro, but from what I've heard those are all pretty poor headphones when it comes to music

I hear people say just get "headphones and a desk mic" yeah that's great but then I have no where to put my mic really(really small desk), and for one that would even sound remotely decent (that I wouldn't have to lean forwards into when I want to speak) it's gonna cost £50 for something like a Blue Snowball

So yeah, any recommendations? If there really is nothing good in that price bracket then say so, I don't mind if I have to save up  a bit more to get something decent.

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 2
Generally, people on head-fi will say gaming headsets are not worth it for the money and you can get better alternatives via headphones + mic cable/boom mic/attachable mic (don't get a desktop mic lol)...

One example that I have personally tried is the closed portable headphones: V-Moda M100 ($300-$310) + V-Moda's Boom Pro Cable ($40).

There are many other cheaper alternative configurations as well. You can probably find a good mic cable from $5-$20. Open headphones get recommended a lot because they usually sound more spacious, but noise can leak in/out. Closed headphones are good if you want to game without disturbing others. You would want to look for headphones that have a good sound stage.

This is usually the thread people here will refer you to when you ask this question: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-3-11-13-lcd2-entry-updated

If you are heart-set on a gaming headset, you should try posting on a gaming forum for better feedback. I think turtle beach series 7 is being released soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back