Best headphones under $70-90 !
Aug 18, 2011 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

wolfxomg

Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am a college student,regular music listener, i am looking to buy a pair of headphones under $70 and my audio sources will be an Alienware m15x, Galaxy S phone and iPod Classic.I mostly listen to rock, metal ,celtic, trance and others.My main moto is to get  a good bass reproducing headset but not overwhelming loud and dominating with clear sound reproduction .

My previous experiences were Bose in-ear set (which had too loud bass), Sennheiser HD 408 which had a good output and bass but there was distortion developing after a long use of around 1YR,

So please recommend me a good pair of headphones and even i plan to get a good amp later-on.

:D

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 25
Alessandro's/Grado's - Rock and Metal.

AKG's - Neutral (all rounder).

ATH-M50's - Somewhat all rounder, but maybe more to the electronica.

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 25

Quote:
Actually iv'e been into these already from http://www.thomann.de but with this high price they are out of my budget!!

:/

Okay then, well, have a read here if you need any more help or suggestions:

http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/

or

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-89-portable-headphones-reviewed-beyerdynamic-dt1350-added-08-12

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 25

Quote:

Okay then, well, have a read here if you need any more help or suggestions:

http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/

or

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-89-portable-headphones-reviewed-beyerdynamic-dt1350-added-08-12

OMG.... Thankyou :D 

that was really catchy and very helpful but i need to go thoroughly...
and any ideas about AKG k44 ??
my friend says their bass was quite good  ..!

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 25
hmm...my friend had posted AKG vs ATH on this forum just a couple of hours before and i had been through it , but i think it doesn't pack that much bass. Is it ?

I really need bass enhanced , thankyou !

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 25

Quote:
Sony XB300, 500, 700, 1000, depending on your budget.

thanks for the advice

:)
But in the tread posted by joker iv'e been through XB 500 and 700 , he mentioned that XB 500 has a sound quality of 5.x/10 and too much overwhelming ,muddy bass  that was very disappointing and the XB 700 was given 7.x/10 but it was out of my budget. So ,right now i m thinking of about getting an AKG K-44 (Price of EU24 +EUR24 shipping to INDIA from thomann.de) here in this forum  iv'e got to know that it has got much more bass dominating feel that needs to be Eq'd down, any advice on this option and  any alternatives on this price??

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
Yup, this.

You just have to be careful of fakes. I bought my V6's, which were real, from Electronics Expo.

Oh, thanks for acknowledging me about these
read a few posts about it!!

but its costing me more than EUR50 viz. $100(incl shippinghttp://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-MDRV6-STUDIO-MONITOR-SERIES-HEADPHONES-MDR-V6-/320742199781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aadb991e5#ht_500wt_1180) and are these real???

that's slightly out of my budget but ill try to extend my budget  and get these awesome pair  :D !!

finally i shortlisted , the ones that left are Sony MDR V6 or AKG K-44!!!

Aug 18, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #14 of 25
Well, it's always best to try the headphones out first. Reviews are always going to be biased
towards the reviewer's musical tastes, etc. I had a bad experience with one of the XB headphones,
picked it up, put it on for a minute, hated the sound. I might've gotten a bad pair, I don't know. 

But the Sony XB (xtra bass) should be really good for bassheads. The bass is thumpy
but it's definitely not "refined", if you get what I mean. The bass would probably be too
overpowering for your needs.  

Grados (SR60/SR80) are good for rock and metal. They make the music sound alive, imo. It's
portable, can be driven easily (do not require an amp). I'm thinking of getting a used pair since
I can save about 40 bucks (50% of original price) if I buy used. The bass isn't too pronounced,
but the guitar and vocals are outstanding. Good for rock/metal.

Alessandros are tuned Grados, the cheapest Alessandro being 99 USD, new. They're built on
the SR80 (correct me if I'm wrong), with a few minor adjustments to improve on the sound.
Both the SR80 and Alessandro cost 99 USD, do not need amping. I think the Alessandro MS-1
ships free. I haven't heard these, so you might want to look around for MS-1 reviews.

If you like the HD408, maybe you should look into HD428/438 as well. The HD438 has a bit more
bass than the HD428. They're not rock-solid, but the sound quality is pretty good. If Sennheiser
bothered to improve on the build quality of these headphones, they would fetch a higher price (imo)
than what they retail at right now; $60-90+. 

Why don't you save the money, not get an amp, and use that to up your budget? I think the M50s
are what you need, but they're about US$150 new, add that to the shipping costs, almost $200.

Otherwise, based on my experience, go for the HD428/448 or some Grados or Alessandros. 

I'm not familiar with AKGs, so can't help you there. 

Quote:
thanks for the advice

:)
But in the tread posted by joker iv'e been through XB 500 and 700 , he mentioned that XB 500 has a sound quality of 5.x/10 and too much overwhelming ,muddy bass  that was very disappointing and the XB 700 was given 7.x/10 but it was out of my budget. So ,right now i m thinking of about getting an AKG K-44 (Price of EU24 +EUR24 shipping to INDIA from thomann.de) here in this forum  iv'e got to know that it has got much more bass dominating feel that needs to be Eq'd down, any advice on this option and  any alternatives on this price??

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #15 of 25

Quote:
Well, it's always best to try the headphones out first. Reviews are always going to be biased
towards the reviewer's musical tastes, etc. I had a bad experience with one of the XB headphones,
picked it up, put it on for a minute, hated the sound. I might've gotten a bad pair, I don't know. 

But the Sony XB (xtra bass) should be really good for bassheads. The bass is thumpy
but it's definitely not "refined", if you get what I mean. The bass would probably be too
overpowering for your needs.  

Grados (SR60/SR80) are good for rock and metal. They make the music sound alive, imo. It's
portable, can be driven easily (do not require an amp). I'm thinking of getting a used pair since
I can save about 40 bucks (50% of original price) if I buy used. The bass isn't too pronounced,
but the guitar and vocals are outstanding. Good for rock/metal.

Alessandros are tuned Grados, the cheapest Alessandro being 99 USD, new. They're built on
the SR80 (correct me if I'm wrong), with a few minor adjustments to improve on the sound.
Both the SR80 and Alessandro cost 99 USD, do not need amping. I think the Alessandro MS-1
ships free. I haven't heard these, so you might want to look around for MS-1 reviews.

If you like the HD408, maybe you should look into HD428/438 as well. The HD438 has a bit more
bass than the HD428. They're not rock-solid, but the sound quality is pretty good. If Sennheiser
bothered to improve on the build quality of these headphones, they would fetch a higher price (imo)
than what they retail at right now; $60-90+. 

Why don't you save the money, not get an amp, and use that to up your budget? I think the M50s
are what you need, but they're about US$150 new, add that to the shipping costs, almost $200.

Otherwise, based on my experience, go for the HD428/448 or some Grados or Alessandros. 

I'm not familiar with AKGs, so can't help you there. 

Koolkat that was great and it  made me drive though this forum again just  been through this definitive review :D w00t.
(http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd448-around-the-ear-headphones/reviews ) About the Senn HD448's and found em perfect for bassheads(not too high) and i could get em straight from India (homeplace) for $80-90 ,this price tag +sound quality  really dragged me into senn's which are just costing me of $10-20+ of AKG's K44's price [$70 incl. shipping],and i had already been through the Grados and Alessandros but they lacked the Bass punch in em (correct me if i'm wrong) ,as per review these senn's had very good increase in performance with FiiO ,by the way i could get em if i really need to Amp the  HD448's.

And the Legendary  ATH M50's they are the bang for buck under $250 audiophile range (been through the reviews )but that's too much for me and would cost me more for shipping and the warranty problems imo .

Anyways  thanks for understanding my needs Koolkat ,and finally could you please give a quick shootout that would help me snap of my dilemma on Grados vs HD448's performance on long usages and amp'ed performance boost?
and what do you mean by  "not rock solid " ?

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back