Best headphones under 200$ for father's day gift
Jun 19, 2014 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

zoenphlux

New Head-Fier
Hello all, 

Long time lurker, but I decided to ask some questions.  As the title says I am in need of a father’s day gift(yeah i know...belated).  Headphones would be perfect.  I will provide a little bit of info that will help the more educated offer appropriate options.

My dad records music on a yahama motif 8.  He is very picky, but doesn’t have the funds now to get a proper set of cans.  He currently has some Senn HD 202s I got him years ago.  They are starting to fall apart.  He used to have some nice Sony monitors V900 I think…the whole family loved those. 

He doesn’t like bright music.  I know this because he is always turning down treble in the car.  I assume he will prefer more neutral tone to avoid the highs being too much.  I personally prefer my highs turned up.  Because of this I need help picking what is best for HIM.  

He will use these to listen to music on a computer, possibly tv in his room, and his keyboard.  I would prefer it to be lower ohm to use with his iphone too if he wanted to, however I also was thinking of getting an amp.  Since his keyboard is in his room by the computer I was thinking something like a Fiio E17 would work good so he can use it on the go, and easily switch between keyboard and computer. 

He likes all kinds of music , but is more partial to electronic and modern orchestra(what I call it…new yanni stuff and things like that).

So far I have been looking at these.

Audio-tech A700x (closed back) Current top pick

Others I’ve considered:

AKG k240 mkII

AKG k271 MKII

This is all subjective, based on reviews.  Prefer the 100-150$ range.  I want to get my dad something good, but really he wouldn’t know a lot different since he never has had too many headphones.  I just want a great sounding headset that will be comfortable to use for hours.

Oh, as for me.  I am still using some Steelseries Siberia headphones.  I really like them, but I also want a newer set.  Been hard pressed to put out the money for them since my current ones work.  I am personally looking to get the AT 700s.

Thanks!

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 11
The Sennheiser HD598 may be a good choice,but street price is around $250. They are open backed, not sure if that is a problem, but they are pretty comfortable and don't require an amp( they probably would sound a bit better with an E17, though).

Jun 19, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 11
If you don't mind buying used gear, the Soundmagic HP100 can be had from the FS forum for $100 which is a fantastic deal. It's comfortable, easy to drive and neutral sounding, but also has great sub-bass for electronic music.

Jun 19, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 11
Beyerdynamic DT880 pro is usually about $200
Or DT770 pro 250 ohm probably has more bass at about the same price.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006NL5SM?pc_redir=1403158335&robot_redir=1

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 11
Amp certainly helps but I ran the dt880 out of my phone no problem. Could play them loud enough to drown out traffic noise walking to work. That's why I got the 250ohm instead of the 600ohm.

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 11
If you don't mind buying used gear, the Soundmagic HP100 can be had from the FS forum for $100 which is a fantastic deal. It's comfortable, easy to drive and neutral sounding, but also has great sub-bass for electronic music.

+ !

It's a GREAT headphone all around, and it needs no amp! 

Other wise for $150 new the DT 990 Pro is a super bargin, buy a Beringher UAC 202 Dac/Amp  [$30] combo and you'll get an even better sound experince, all for under $200, 

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 11

This is all subjective, based on reviews.  Prefer the 100-150$ range.  I want to get my dad something good, but really he wouldn’t know a lot different since he never has had too many headphones.  I just want a great sounding headset that will be comfortable to use for hours.

I would normally recommend Grados for those. The seemingly wide, eye-opening dynamic range on those tend to wow a lot of people - tone deaf friends (or friends' girlfriends) usually can't tell much of a difference between the HD600 and any other headphone that isn't a stock earbud, but hand them a Grado and they're always sold on it right away thanks to the impact of the percussion.

However, if the fit and isolation issues on Grados might be a problem, if not also that he might find their eye-opening impact to actually be more along the lines of "glaring," I'd forego their percussion reproduction and go with the Brainwavz M5 for a generally flatter (and safer) sound.

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 11
His father turns down the treble and prefers a non bright/darker sound signature. DT990 and Grados are certainly off the cards if this is the case... The DT880 might be too bright too.

The Soundmagic HP100 is a good recommendation. The Audio Technica A900X would be worth looking at. The JVC HA-S500 is great in that range. Shure 840 too. It would be the best to read some reviews of these models to see what suits.

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 11
  His father turns down the treble and prefers a non bright/darker sound signature. DT990 and Grados are certainly off the cards if this is the case... The DT880 might be too bright too.

The Soundmagic HP100 is a good recommendation. The Audio Technica A900X would be worth looking at. The JVC HA-S500 is great in that range. Shure 840 too. It would be the best to read some reviews of these models to see what suits.

Ahh, then yea the HP 100 would be ideal, as would the SHure 840, the A900x was to my ears about as bright as the DT 880 was so I'd skip it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back