Best Headphones under 100 for ipod listening only
Jun 20, 2010 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lakersfan

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I am looking to buy my first pair of over the ear style headphones. I have read through many of the threads on here, and have not been able to decide between a few headphones.

The main uses of the headphones I am buying are for portable use (in a car, train, airplane) and a dorm room setting. I will be using the headphones with my Ipod Classic only. So models that need an a amp would be useless for my use. Also I have a fairly large head so I would sacrifice sound quality for comfort or even greater portability.

My absolute budget is $100, but I would prefer to spend closer to the $75 range. I am also going from stock ipod headphones FWIR. I listen to mainly rock and hip hop music; no country, classical etc.

I was looking at these models and the prices that I can get them for from lowest to highest:

JVC RX700  $30
ATH M40      $50
Creative Aurvana Live! (similar to the Denon 1001 model)     $70
Grado SR80    $90  (will it leak to much noise for my usage?)
ATH M50       $100

Also, will spending X dollars more between the two models give me a much better listening experience? (e.x. spending $50 more to go from the ATH M40 to the ATH M50)

Thanks

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 14
You can drop the SR80 because it leaks a lot of sound, in and out. Not too many people have the JVC, but maybe one of them will drop in here. IMO the M50 fits your needs and it sounds much better than the price so there shouldn't be a need to upgrade any time soon.

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 14
in train and airplane, just forget any Grado 
tongue_smile.gif

FWIR M50 is really fav cans here

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 14
I had the opportunity to purchase a pair of RE-Zero from HiFiMan at CanJam in Chicago and I have been super impressed thus far. I don't know if you have patience to wait till they officially go on sale or not, but I think they would definitely be worth looking into. 

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:

Also, will spending X dollars more between the two models give me a much better listening experience? (e.x. spending $50 more to go from the ATH M40 to the ATH M50)

I don't think I have heard anyone on this site post about the M40's but the M50's are a pretty popular suggestion. They ended up being my first cans, and I wasn't disappointed for even 1 second.

Jun 21, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 14
I also took a look at the Audio Technica A700 and es7 models. They would cost around what the m50 would cost, the es7 would be less. 

Are either of the A700 or ES7 models better than the M50 in terms of comfort/portability/use without an amp?

Jun 21, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 14
Go with the ES7, it's designed to be a portable and will work well with your music :) The M50 is fullsized and is more comfortable however.

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 14
thanks for the advice.

I ended up getting a refurbished AT ES7. I received it today and it looks brand new. The closed back does not clamp down too much so comfort is fine, the audio sounds fine and love the portable aspect of the headphones. 

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 14
Please tell me you didn't buy them on ebay. There are many knockoff ES-7's on ebay, that's why if I would ever to buy something from ebay I will make sure if it's a trusted seller.

If you didn't just take that for future reference aswell as anyone else buying headphones off ebay.

Check out this thread to check if they are fake or not:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/where-buy-genuine-ath-es7-black
 http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/309227/i-got-fake-es7-s-i-should-have-known-better

Quote:
thanks for the advice.

I ended up getting a refurbished AT ES7. I received it today and it looks brand new. The closed back does not clamp down too much so comfort is fine, the audio sounds fine and love the portable aspect of the headphones. 

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
Please tell me you didn't buy them on ebay. There are many knockoff ES-7's on ebay, that's why if I would ever to buy something from ebay I will make sure if it's a trusted seller.

If you didn't just take that for future reference aswell as anyone else buying headphones off ebay.

Check out this thread to check if they are fake or not:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/where-buy-genuine-ath-es7-black
 http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/309227/i-got-fake-es7-s-i-should-have-known-better

I bought them off of buydig.com

The es7s look legit based on this http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/417148/ath-es7-buyer-s-guide-or-how-and-where-to-avoid-fakes
and buydig is listed as a legit seller so it should be fine.

Jun 27, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #13 of 14
I own the Denon D1001 and the M50 and just recently listened to the Shure 840. Here are a few opinions I have about them.

-The Shure, of the three sounded the best out of the ipod. They improve with amplification. They're well balanced and clear. Bass on this one is the best overall. It has good isolation. They are fairly large and not what I would call comfortable. Especially for commuting or extended listening. Kind of a shame. Clamping force is tight.

-The M50 the second best sounding of the three. Sounds better with an amp. Quite bass heavy with both good extension and impact. Although bass is a bit loosey goosey overall. The isolation is very good. Again, these are large-ish, not the most comfortable and not the best suited for commuting. They are a bit better than the Shure for longer listening. Clamping force is tight.

-The D1001, of the three, trails in overall sound quality. But not by much. An amp improves sound a little. The sound is tipped in the bass but the mid bass hump is, to me, where most of the impact is. Bass is the most bloated of the three. The Denon has fair isolation. They are the smallest and lightest of the trio. Hence, the most comfortable and easiest t wear for longer times. Clamping force is light but snug.

For my needs, I use them for doing chores around the house out of my iPod. Even though I may vacuum with them, I can't have total isolation as I need to hear ambient noises. Add the comfort issue and even though the Denon isn't the best sounding of the three, it's best for what I need. If I want better sound quality, I have other headphones for that.

If these are going to be your primary or only cans and comfort isn't THE most important, the Shure wins. However, the M50 can be had cheaper and is, overall, close enough to the 840, that it's not a bad choice.

Just a few of my thoughts...

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #14 of 14
forget about the grados...for SO many reasons....

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back