Best headphones to wear while sleeping?
Sep 8, 2004 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

coolestguyever

New Head-Fier
What would be the most comfortable while still good sounding headphones I could get to use while trying to sleep? Right now I have a pair of Sennheiser PX200's, and although they have a decent amount of padding they're still not at all comfortable. I'm thinking ear buds might be the way to go, such as the Etymotic ER-6's possibly, but I've never had anything like those before and I'd rather not spend that kind of money on something that will be even worse to sleep with on then the ones I have now. Are earbuds the way to go? Any other suggestions about what kind, or a better alternative all together?

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolestguyever
What would be the most comfortable while still good sounding headphones I could get to use while trying to sleep? Right now I have a pair of Sennheiser PX200's, and although they have a decent amount of padding they're still not at all comfortable. I'm thinking ear buds might be the way to go, such as the Etymotic ER-6's possibly, but I've never had anything like those before and I'd rather not spend that kind of money on something that will be even worse to sleep with on then the ones I have now. Are earbuds the way to go? Any other suggestions about what kind, or a better alternative all together?

the ER6's stick out too far from the ear to be appropriate for this use, in my opinion. i think earbuds, senn mx400 or similar, will be the best bet. unless you can't use them for somereason, speakers are probably going to be better than anything else. in fact, you can get speakers made specifically for use when going to sleep. they aren't terribly expensive.

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 60
I've fallen asleep with my HD600s on quite a few times, since they have such nice padding and are fairly flat so they aren't annoying to have in between your pillow and your ear. I'd imagine the HD580s and 650s are the same depending on your budget. I'd personally worry about having ear buds in when I fall asleep because they may poke and prod at your ear drum when you move around.

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
I've fallen asleep with my HD600s on quite a few times, since they have such nice padding and are fairly flat so they aren't annoying to have in between your pillow and your ear. I'd imagine the HD580s and 650s are the same depending on your budget. I'd personally worry about having ear buds in when I fall asleep because they may poke and prod at your ear drum when you move around.

i couldn't imagine wearing anything as large as Senn circumaural's while trying to sleep, but to each his own....i guess
wink.gif
600smile.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 60
Shure E2cs are sleepable for me

Sep 8, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
I'd personally worry about having ear buds in when I fall asleep because they may poke and prod at your ear drum when you move around.

Aren't our eardrums waaay too far in for that to happen? If not, canalphones would be tearing people's eardrums all the time.

Sep 8, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 60
I sleep with e3cs' w/ety tri-flanges. It's nice, isolates so I can't hear any noises my roommate makes and are comfortable. They tend to fall out by morning though, so I'm able to hear my alarm. I sleep without a pillow, usually on my side or stomach.

Sep 8, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 60
I use to sleep with er-6s. Forgot they were there. They did pop out during the night though sometimes.

Sep 8, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #13 of 60
MX500 are good enough for me. I usually fall asleep within ten minutes so there's not much critical listening going on. Plus once I fall asleep they really don't stay in my ears, which I think is a good thing. Your ears need rest, too; and if I roll over onto them they won't get damaged and even if they did, they are not expensive to replace.

I suppose it depends on what you're listening to, source and source material. I usually tuck my Xin modded SRF-84 under my pillow, put on "New Sounds" on the public radio station and drift off into zzzzzzzzzzz....

If I were listening to something other than FM radio I might want a better headphone.

Sep 8, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #14 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
..a speaker under your pillow.

Or how about a speaker pillow

Sep 8, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #15 of 60
I lie in bed on my side with my Sony EX51's all the time. Very comfortable, although for some reason the left phone goes in just a little bit deeper than the right. Then again, I have big ears (clip-on phones are too uncomfortable for more than a couple minutes at a time)...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back