Best Headphones Solely For Watching Movies w/ Nothing Other Than The TV & Blu Ray Player?
Aug 28, 2013 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Eagle1156

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone...I am a complete novice when it comes to this stuff and know next to nothing.  I need to start watching more films for work and don't want to bother my roommate when I watch them late at night but also don't want to sacrifice the sound by constantly having to turn the TV down when it gets loud.

Unfortunately I have no receiver or sound system set-up of any kind.  It's just me, the TV, and my blu ray player.  I don't have a preference as to whether the headphones are wireless or not, would just like the best.  I don't even know if it's possible to emulate surround sound or the amazing sound that blu rays have to offer.

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?  Is this a fruitless endeavor without an amp or receiver of some kind?  I appreciate it any help.

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:
Hi everyone...I am a complete novice when it comes to this stuff and know next to nothing.  I need to start watching more films for work and don't want to bother my roommate when I watch them late at night but also don't want to sacrifice the sound by constantly having to turn the TV down when it gets loud.

Unfortunately I have no receiver or sound system set-up of any kind.  It's just me, the TV, and my blu ray player.  I don't have a preference as to whether the headphones are wireless or not, would just like the best.  I don't even know if it's possible to emulate surround sound or the amazing sound that blu rays have to offer.

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?  Is this a fruitless endeavor without an amp or receiver of some kind?  I appreciate it any help.

Purely for movies, I'm guessing you want sound stage and comfort.
For that use:
Sennheiser HD5X8 series. Very very comfortable and warm overall sound with ultra wide soundstage. Great for movies and gaming.
Audio Technica AD700/900. Again, these are very very comfortable with flat overall sound and ultra wide sounstage.
Both senn and AT are really really comfy. I simply cannot describe how comfortable they are. I can wear them for hours.

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Heya,

We need a budget to even begin suggestions here.

Very best,

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 17
Thank you for the advice so far and sorry about that.  I'm hoping to stay within the $200 - $300 range but am willing to go higher if it would make all the difference in the world.  Seeing as how I currently only use the TV's speakers, I think I'll be insanely impressed with the lower to mid range options.

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones.

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 17
I'm sorry to ask another insanely beginner question but I can't readily seem to find the answer on my own.  Will most/all of these options plug directly into the TV (big flat screen HDTV a couple years old) or will I need another component to make them work?

I really appreciate all of the help.

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Heya,

With a $300 budget, you can do something like this:

Sony STRDH130 or Onkyo TX-8255
With Beyer DT990 PRO's

This way you get a DAC/AMP, with remote, that connects your Bluray & TV to one receiver and outputs to your headphones. It will drive these headphones perfectly fine. The DT990's are great for movies, they have that movie theater sound. Also, down the road, this setup grows, as you can add speakers to it and add more sources, like if you buy other things like a turntable or want to input from an ipod or something else. Universal.

Very best,

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Heya,

With a $300 budget, you can do something like this:

Sony STRDH130 or Onkyo TX-8255
With Beyer DT990 PRO's

This way you get a DAC/AMP, with remote, that connects your Bluray & TV to one receiver and outputs to your headphones. It will drive these headphones perfectly fine. The DT990's are great for movies, they have that movie theater sound. Also, down the road, this setup grows, as you can add speakers to it and add more sources, like if you buy other things like a turntable or want to input from an ipod or something else. Universal.

Very best,

Yea the Beyer DT 990s are my favorite I second that recommendation 100%

Mal know's his stuff and I also know mine, more importantly I still own my Dt 990s and they are very movie like! [ acutally a little tighter in the bass than my Movie Theater if I do say so myself] 

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
I'm sorry to ask another insanely beginner question but I can't readily seem to find the answer on my own.  Will most/all of these options plug directly into the TV (big flat screen HDTV a couple years old) or will I need another component to make them work?

I really appreciate all of the help.

Just about any low impedance headphone, in the 32-ohm to 65-Ohm range should work in the TV's headphone jack.
An external DAC/Headphone amplifier hooked up to the TV's digital output (optical S/PDIF?) should improve the headphone's audio quality
and you would be able to use high impedance headphones (up to 600-Ohms).

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 17
Just about any low impedance headphone, in the 32-ohm to 65-Ohm range should work in the TV's headphone jack.
An external DAC/Headphone amplifier hooked up to the TV's digital output (optical S/PDIF?) should improve the headphone's audio quality
and you would be able to use high impedance headphones (up to 600-Ohms).

+1!

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #13 of 17
I have a Fiio e17 and e09 amp, optical cable, Ultrasone 900, and a PS4.  I'm looking to get another pair of cans with better all around sound for blu ray movies specifically.  I desire soundstage and COMFORT.  Open or closed.  I can spend $500 and am leaning towards the HD 650's.  What do you guys think?  

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 17
I've narrowed me search down to the Beyer DT770 or DT990's for some music, but mostly movie watching.
I don't really need the closed design as i'm usually watching movies at night by myself. With the 990's, will i still be able to hear noises such as the dish-washer running in the background? If so, I may just get the 770's so I don't have to deal with that... my wife always starts the dishwasher when she goes to bed. :frowning2:
I guess I could just turn the volume up until I don't hear the background noises... I really feel like the extended soundstage of the open 990's would be better for movies.

Thanks for any opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back