Best headphones in the $100-$150 range?
Jul 17, 2012 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Skebz

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, sorry if this topic doesn't belong here, I didn't see any other forums meant for recommending products. Anyways, I am looking for headphones in the $100-$150 range, I listen to quite a few different genre's of music (Rock, Death metal, occasional rap, pretty much most genre's, but mostly rock and such) and was looking at the BRAINWAVZ HM5 headphones, are those any good? Are there any other headphones that will perform better at such a price range? Thanks.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 29
The Audio Technica ATH-M50 remains my favorite in that price range.  I tested them against an entire wall of headphones at Headroom years ago and they held their own against headphones twice as expensive.  They are very durable, sound pretty neutral considering their price point, and are portable because they fold up quite well.  They also isolate decently which makes them good headphones for quiet environments.

They should not be used on a plane because they do not isolate that well and the volume will have to be turned up to ear damaging levels.

They can fit a bit tight which is easily alleviated by stretching them over a full-sized tissue box when you are not using them.  Within a week or two they will fit just fine.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 29
I 2nd that. I haven't heard the Brainwavez HM5 but it are supposed to be a good value as well. You can't go wrong with the ATH M50

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 29
Shure SRH840, ultrasone (Hfi models) koss pro Dj just to mention some. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 29
Okay, thank you for the recommendations, everyone! I am leaning towards the Audio Technica ATH-M50, but the ultrasone 580 seem to be a  decent pick as well. Between those two headphones, can anyone give me pros/cons to the two of those? How is the bass/mids/highs on either two of those, I heard that the bass on the ATH-M50 sort of drowns out the mids and highs a bit as well, is this true at all?

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #10 of 29
A video I saw on youtube yesterday claims those Philips Uptown headphones has now surpassed M50 as best in class. I don't know myself, I think the Philips are ugly as sin and wouldn't want a headphone with mute, volume control and mic built into the cable.

http://headphonemecca.com/101-150/

M50 are light and comfortable but ear cups are on the small side and made my ears sweat. If I was looking for a new headphone in that price range I would check out the Senn HD449.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-449-Headphones-Black/dp/B005SNPV8K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342578037&sr=8-1&keywords=hd449

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 29
For metal, the senns are OK, but I think they pale in comparison tot he ultrasone 780s (or 580 & 680), considering how close the price is if you find the right deal...

Double bass sounds lethal on the HI-FI 780s

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #12 of 29
Sounds like the ultrasone 780's are a popular choice! I think I will end up picking those up since they are within my price range and the reviews I have been looking at all point at them being a decent set of headphones! I have one question, do these require an amp to get the most out of them? Also, are these decent for other genre's besides rock/metal/post-hardcore/rap? Maybe for acoustic songs and such? Thanks for the input, everyone!

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:
Sounds like the ultrasone 780's are a popular choice! I think I will end up picking those up since they are within my price range and the reviews I have been looking at all point at them being a decent set of headphones! I have one question, do these require an amp to get the most out of them? Also, are these decent for other genre's besides rock/metal/post-hardcore/rap? Maybe for acoustic songs and such? Thanks for the input, everyone!

Amping is an option, generally HFI series are easy to drive. 

I've been enjoying my ultrasones for classical and some live performances, the detail level is pretty good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back