Best headphones I can get for about 100 dollars?
Sep 12, 2009 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

flashgearz

New Head-Fier
I mainly listen to rock, but I have pop and some hip hop that I like. So I'd like pretty good bass. I'm not planning on going out with it too often, but I'd like something that has the option to be used outside. I'm not planning on buying anything else other then the headphones.

Features that would be nice but not necessary:

Noise Canceling, not needed, but would be nice to have.

Over the ears. I was trying those Beat headphones at a store, and I really liked that it didn't really touch my ear, but was around it.

Some way to make the thing cool. I don't like the wet sweaty feeling that I get when I wear headphones for more then 45 mins. if it's possible, I'd like it to be cool somehow. It seems like it would go against the Noise Canceling, but ether one would be fine.

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 38
The Grado made Alessandro MS-1 for $100 delivered is fantastic but may not work for you as they are open back. These are my favorite under cans anywhere close to this price point.

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 38
@dinar: MS1 is for rock, not hip-hop
@MaraUCSD: OP asked for an around ear, not IEM.

ES7. They sound plain perfect for the price ($55@ buydig.com refurb'd). They might get hot fast, depending on your music.
AKG K301. Open design, sometimes on the FS forum/ebay for decent prices (Always <80). Don't go for the XTRA version though... Great for rock and has "nice" bass, similar to a well-amped K701.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 38
Audio Technica ATH-CKS70 or Denon AH-C710.

I wouldn't recommend the Westone UM1 if you listen to hip-hop because the bass is virtually non-existent unless you EQ the hell out of it. In that case, you just get a bunch of mid-bass because the specs say it cuts out at around 40Hz but from my experience the cutoff frequency is higher than that and that's why you really don't get any of the deep bass.

Most closed headphones are really hot. One of the headphones I would recommend if that weren't a factor was the Denon AH-D1001.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 38
JVC HA DX1 or DX3. The DX1 is less fatigueing while remaining very detailed. I'm mainly listening to Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Agalloch and Nokturnal Mortum and I like the DX1 for all of those. The DX3 is still ok for those, but better suited to shorter listening sessions and acoustic music.
The Denon AH D1001 is another good set of phones. Less detail than the DXs, but very comfy and lightweight. Comparable soundwise, (with a little EQing), is the JVC HARX700.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 38
JVC HA-RX700 or HA-RX900. Preferably modded (search forums).

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 38
Welcome.

What sound card or other equipment will you be plugging these headphones into?

Given you don't want sweaty ears, that would rule out closed headphones. And given you want headphones that fits around your ears, that rules out the supraural headphones that have been suggested. And given you also want to be able to go out with these at times, that rules out the larger headphones that have been suggested.

FWIR and assuming you won't be using additional amplification...

The open headphones that fit around the ears that I suggest you consider is the HD485. Search "HD485". Or, if you decide noise canceling is more important than whether your ears sweat, then I suggest the ATH-M50. Search "M50".

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 38
I don't really plan too make any upgrades other then my headphones. I have a mac from like 2004-5 so I can't remember the specs too well.

And now that I thik about it, I want open headphones. I already have Earphones that cancel most sounds out already, so it's not too needed on these.

but I'm not going to change much if I buy these. I may buy an amp if it make the sound that much better, but it's unlikely.Right now my Music files ares pretty low quality, so will these headphones make that really noticeable? Or will it not make a big difference?

And which is the best looking one?

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 38
To determine the best looking, use a search engine like Google and take a look at the headphones yourself. Everyone's perception of best looking is not the same.

The open headphones in this price range that fit around your ears that I read most about are the HD485 and HD555.

FWIR...

The HD485 is sure to have a bassier sound. The other models mentioned earlier do not meet all of your specifications: open, about $100, and fits around the ears. These two headphones are relatively forgiving with lower quality source media like what you'd be using. So no need to be concerned about that.

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 38
Alessandro MS1 or Grado SR125 or Audio Technica ESW9

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #13 of 38
hmmmmmm, seems like everything under around 150 dollars isn't the most visually appealing thing ever.

Seems like I'll get HD485. But is there anything amazingly better, for a little more expensive? Like it sounds like a 200 dollar difference for only 50 more?

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #14 of 38
ATH-m50 are good value headphones for a little over $100.

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashgearz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like I'll get HD485. But is there anything amazingly better, for a little more expensive? Like it sounds like a 200 dollar difference for only 50 more?

Amazingly better? Sounds like a $200 difference for only $50 more? And, you want circumaural, bassy sounding open headphones without using additional amplification? I know of no other headphones to suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back