Best headphones for...
Nov 24, 2002 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

computerd00d

New Head-Fier
Hi all... I'm new to the forum and have come hear because i have been told it's one of the best around. So let's get down to business. I'm not a hardcore audiophile, but i'd like to treat myself this christmas on a good set of headphones and a nomad jukebox 3. My question? Which set of headphones would be best for the nomad jukebox 3? Nothing more than $500 street, but I'm not sure if the NJ3 is of a high enough quality to be able to be used with an expensive pair of phones. Also, they will be used with my computer and a cd player. Please, if you could, list something that I would be able to take around with me and not be looked at funny and something that would be the best knowing it would be used in the privacy of my own home. If it turns out the NJ3 can only take advantage of a certain grade of headphones thant just list the best in that class. Thank you all very much for your help in adavnce.

Nov 24, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 13
What is your cd player?

What is your sound card?

Do you download mp3's primarily?

Are you attached to downloaded mp3's to the point where you arent willing to give them up, even for an exponential leap in sound quality?

Do you need isolation with these headphones?

Will you be walking around/jogging with these headphones?

Nov 24, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 13
CD Player: Computer, Basic portable stereo, and portable cd player

Sound Card: Am going to invest in an Audigy 2

MP3 status: Yes i do download a lot to the point where I probably wont buy the cd. (This is done at 320kbps quality if that helps.)

Am I attached to mp3s?: If this leap in quality requires a big sum of money than I will stick with mp3s

Isolation: Probably not..

Walking around/jogging?: Probably not

Also, if i were to incorporate this into watching movies also.. how well do those wireless pioneers and sonys work as an all around headphone system for movies, music.. etc etc (this is just a question, its not stating that I want to go this route.)

Nov 24, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 13
For in home use and a $500 budget, you can get a good headphone and amp combo at www.meier-audio.com I too am waiting untill christmas to treat my self to a headphone setup. My budget is about the same as well. I will most likely get a pair of Sennheiser HD590s and a Corda HA-1 as a combo from Jan. (meier-audio) I don't know much about the Jukebox 3 but I assume it has the quality of a creative sound card of some sort and then the limitation of the MP3s you use. MP3 may may not seem so bad now, but with a good system like this you will become much more aware of it. I am going to face the same problem, I have at least 8 gigs of MP3s. At least I have a big hard drive and access to CDs.

The improtant thing for you to do is to try and find places where you can try different phones. I tried that where I live and I didn't find much unfortuneatly, but I did get to try the 590, MDR V6/7506 and the MDR F-1. I liked the 590 best by a comfortable margine, but that's my opinion, and doesn't have to apply to anyone else. So have fun and go try stuff!

Nov 24, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 13
No, wont require much money....

$80 portable cd player... old panasonic SL-CT470 is popular here; ask around to find one...

sell/return the nomad...

invest in an audigy 2 oem when it comes out @ newegg...

Spend maybe $60 or so on some Sennheiser HD497, and buy CD's with the rest of the money....

For DVD's, find windvd or powerdvd so you can use Dolby Headphone with a non-wireless headphone.

Nov 24, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 13
Nov 24, 2002 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 13
From what I know, the lower end Sony isn't worth it. Everything else is up in the air.

Ask at this forum:

http://headwize2.powerpill.org/ubb/f...days=20&fnum=4

You realize that, upon buying these DVD-specific theaterphones, you might not get a good set of audigy 2 gaming headphones?? We don't know much about how those SOUND, it seems...

For the XBox phones....

1.) For TV or gamecube, I assume that hooking up the reciever to RCA, and turning on Dolby Pro Logic II and/or Dolby headphone would work

2.) For XBox, hook up the optical to the toslink (i believe; might need an adaptor), and use Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Headphone

3.) For the Audigy 2, hook up analog RCA, and turn all of the things on the reciever off, and set your software to headphone mode.

Nov 24, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 13
This sucks...
smily_headphones1.gif

What to do, What to do...

Nov 24, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 13
No, it just means that you would need a 1/8" to RCA adaptor to hook up the reciever to the audigy, and TURN THE THINGS ON THE RECIEVER OFF. Take the straight, already-messed-with by the audigy EAX signal and play it back without even MORE stuff added...

and go ask at that other forum!

Audigy 2's EAX Advanced HD set to headphone mode -> 1/8" to RCA adaptor -> RCA inputs of the Pioneer, with all dolby pro logic 2, etc. etc. DSP options OFF

TV/Gamecube -> normal RCA cable -> inputs of the pioneer -> whatever automatic algorithms that it uses (Pro logic II + dolby headphone? One or the other?)

XBox/DVD player -> Digital cabling (not sure what adaptors will be needed) -> toslink input -> dolby digital 5.1 decoding with dolby headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back