best headphones for working out
Mar 16, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #16 of 33
The microphonic noise from the Etys is generally fairly low frequency - it doesn't really affect the clarity of the music, it's just occasionally annoying. I jog with mine all the time.

The included clip helps microphonics a bit, but not nearly enough. I suspect what I'll need to do to completely eliminate the microphonics is to mod the cable with foam to wrap around the ear, just like some earbuds are mounted - this wouldn't be the same as the noted Radio Shack mod, wouldn't it?

FYI.. my Etys work much, much better than Sennheiser MX400s for working out, but not for the reasons you'd expect. For the life of me, I haven't figured out how to make the MX400s stay on my ears for longer than 5 minutes. Obviously with the Etys I don't have that problem, although sometimes I'll have issues with sweat entering the earplug-ear interface and loosening up the seal considerably.

Mar 16, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #17 of 33
Hey all you gym rats, I'm selling my Sony EX71, pm me if interested. I would think it'd be great working out--it isolates, but you could still hear if someone had to shout a warning to you, they sound very good for the price, and they won't break the bank.

Mar 16, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #18 of 33
Etys work for me, I just keep them tightly wrapped over my ears. Aside from the sonic benefits, there is no sweat problem. Even if I didn't have to shut out the top 40 crap played at the gym, I couldn't use the Koss 35 b/c sweat...

Mar 16, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #19 of 33
Out of my earcanals, I would have to say that the shure e2's work the best for the gym IMO. The ety's are just too expensive and you don't need that good of sound for the gym. The sony ex71s were my first gym phone and they definitely will do the job but the shure's are the happy medium. Plus the extra bass of the shures comes in handy and you won't care about messing them up. Thick wire, durable to sweat because of the construction. I use them only hanging in front of me and never over the back since you will probably have to lay on a bench. Good luck in your search.

Mar 16, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #20 of 33
I'll think I can assume that $100 in-ear E2s sound better than my $15 Sony earbuds
wink.gif
One question though: do in-ear phones move around much in your ear? I find myself stopping on the rowing machine occasionally to readjust the earbuds.

Mar 16, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by commando
I'll think I can assume that $100 in-ear E2s sound better than my $15 Sony earbuds
wink.gif
One question though: do in-ear phones move around much in your ear? I find myself stopping on the rowing machine occasionally to readjust the earbuds.

The E2's are like rocks -- once they're in, they're in. The thickness just keeps them solid. I typically use them on the stairstepper and, less frequently, the rowing machine. I move around enough yet they don't budge. Like hop ham, I do tend to wear them in the front (which is acttually less secure) and they're in there until I take them out.

Mar 16, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #22 of 33
Hi,

I've had good success with the Ety 6 and a Red Sound Micro. I use either a Discman or a WM-D6c. Be careful not to snag the cable. I like the Ety's because they block out the ambient noise and I can play the music at a more comfortable (and safer) level.

Mar 16, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #23 of 33
I have no problems working out with my Ety 4p's, although I'm wary of wearing $250 phones when I jog
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #24 of 33
I'll throw in my 2 cents...

I am training right now to be a amature body builder. I spend a lot of time in the gym, and I have yet to bring my iPOD and E3, I think it can be too dangerous to not be able to hear what is going on around me, I also cant concentrate on getting the weight up when I'm listening to music..

I will bring the E3 in and try them out with my routine and see what they are like.

If your really into weight lifting they might be more of a hassel, when your pushing weight, they might pop out.. haha

Mar 16, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #25 of 33
I tend to work out a lot and to do a wide variety of exercises, from running to rowing to benching to squatting to biking...and I've tried a variety from PX200s to E2s and E3s. I've gotten rid of them all and gone back to a plain old headband pair of sony's. When I'm lifting and someone asks me a question (to spot them, etc.) it's a giant pain to take out a canalphone and ask them to repeat the question. Also...with all the ambient noise, you either need to have great isolation, or the importance of sound quality is reduced (because by default the sound quality is going to suck, due to the ambient noise) I've chosen to go with the easier to use, lower sound quality sony vertical headband phones. If they break, it's $20 to replace them, not $200. They never move, they take no time at all to take off and on, and they sound good enough for my purposes, as like blux said, you should be concentrating on the workout...not the music.

I LOVE my CD3ks and DT880s at home...don't get me wrong...I can very much tell a huge difference...but that's just where I've come out after 50hrs+ of combined testing of the different types

That's just me though!

Mar 16, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #26 of 33
If the EX71's can stay secure, enough, I'd think they'be just about ideal for this purpose. I do agree that having true canal phones (Etys, Shures) would be more of a liability than a positive in this scenario.

Mar 16, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #27 of 33
since i don't lift at my gym (i have my own universal machine in my apt), i'm not too concerned with most of the problems listed so far (dangers of being totally isolated in a gym). i just want them for running a treadmill...as well as to use on my commute to school/work and hours in the library. overall, i'm hoping the 4ps will be a great full purpose headphone. i'll find out tommorow when they get here.

Mar 16, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #28 of 33
On top of what everyone just said, I think it's a bit weird to use anything above $50 for work out. Sweat dranching a $100+ earbud or headphone just doesn't seem right to me.

EDIT: I can't spell...

Mar 16, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #29 of 33
My EX71's are fine for my stationary bike, but I'd think anything more strenuous, like jogging, would not work well with any earbud as they tend to work themselves out of the ear cavity.

Mar 16, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #30 of 33
just get some cheap throw away ear buds...

I cant even count how many times I have gotten my cord completely snagged on somthing while walking around the house with my old cheap headphones...

I wouldnt ever take my sures into the gym...
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back