best headphones for under $40??
Sep 5, 2002 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

rordog

New Head-Fier
this has prolly been done before but last night my bitch ass sister busted my headphones when I was out so I need some new ones
biggrin.gif
thx for the help

Sep 5, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 18
From my months of visiting this forum, it's the Koss KSC-35's, hands down.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also worth a look are the other phones on the Koss series that use the 35's drivers, including the KSC-50, KSC-55 (band might snap on ya), Sporta Pro, Prorta Pro (look around HeadWise for a coupon), and the Koss UR-40. If you want to go for earbuds, the Sennheiser MX500's should be pretty good (~$11 at Amazon if you time it right
wink.gif
)

Sep 5, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 18
Personally, I don't find the Grado SR40 to be that good. I don't think they sound much like their better brethren.

I say the Koss KSC-35 are easily -- *easily* -- the best headphone under $40. It's one of my favorites under $100.

Sep 5, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Personally, I don't find the Grado SR40 to be that good. I don't think they sound much like their better brethren.

I agree with that particular statement. The problem with the SR-40's is not the drivers, but the housing. It suffers much more than other Grados from sound-quality-degrading resonances.

Quote:

I say the Koss KSC-35 are easily -- *easily* -- the best headphone under $40. It's one of my favorites under $100.

Maybe so, but I no longer care much for them. I use the KSC-35's only if I have to use them.

Sep 5, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 18
That's 'cause you own Etymotics, Senn 600's, AKG 240's and Sony V6's...I could go on and on... Point is, if I had your headphone collection, I wouldn't either.
very_evil_smiley.gif

But if I was looking for the best under $40 headphones, the KSC-35's would be first on my list, considering all of the great recommendations that people give them on this forum. I think the 35's should suit rordog just fine.

Rordog - Out of curiousity, can I ask what kind of headphones you had before?

Sep 5, 2002 at 5:17 AM Post #8 of 18
I am hoping that someone on this board can provide their opinion about the following Yahama headphones:

Model RH-5MA $44.95 (just a bit more than your $40 limit)

Model RH-3 $34.95 (Well under your limit)

Can someone please provide their feedback on this Yahama cans?

Sep 5, 2002 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by mkmelt
I am hoping that someone on this board can provide their opinion about the following Yahama headphones:

Model RH-5MA $44.95 (just a bit more than your $40 limit)

Model RH-3 $34.95 (Well under your limit)

Can someone please provide their feedback on this Yahama cans?

I owned the rh-5ma's before getting a good pair of headphones. Yes, the yamaha's suck, stay away from them.

Sep 5, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 18
sapphiremodena - I had some Koss ur-20 I think they're big ones that block out the sound good...I don't like to hear outside noises.. I've been lookin at those koss 35s but they're a little weird for my taste I think...

Sep 5, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #12 of 18
Uh, none of the cheap closed headphones sound very good. If you want good-sounding closed headphones, you'd better triple or quadruple your budget. I've heard all of the sub-$40 closed headphones, and all of them suck.

Sep 5, 2002 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 18
I agree about the KSC-35, but not everyone likes the clip-on phones or want's to bid or buy from ebay. If you have a Borders store nearby you can grab the new Koss KTX Pro 1 for $20. These have the same drivers as the KSC-35, include an inline volume control, and sound very good. There is a thread about them a couple of pages back. They also look less 'goofy' than the Portapros (same drivers) which cost more than $40 retail.

Sep 5, 2002 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 18
The other option if you don't like the form factor of the best choice (KSC-35
smily_headphones1.gif
), is the Koss PortaPro, which are IMO the 2nd best -- Koss is selling them for half price right now ($25)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back