Best headphones for under £40
Nov 16, 2008 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jvc4ever

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of buying some headphones for myself (most likely the Denon AH-D5000) but I would like to buy some new headphones for my sister's iPOD Touch. They need to be comfortable and fit a fairly small head and they need to be under £40 (and not the iGrados as she hates the neck band idea!). If any of you could suggest some cans, I would be very greatful!

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 12
Nov 16, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 12
What kind of music does she listen to?

At that price, if you shop around, you should be able to find a pair of grado SR60. A little bit more money (or a good sale) will net you a pair of denon D1001. Those are going to be your two best bets.
AKG K81DJ seem to be recommended a lot around here too.

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 12
Just checked out the PX100s, they seem like just what she would want and at a very good price! If I could get a pair of Grado SR60s though for under £40, I certainly would do so! I have a pair and I find them fabulous...sadly, I've got a bad case of the upgrades at the mo, so big, wooden, leather covered Denons are calling my name!

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 12
The big question is will your sister feel comfortable wearing a pair of Grado SR60's in public, my guess would be no, but you never know.
L3000.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The big question is will your sister feel comfortable wearing a pair of Grado SR60's in public, my guess would be no, but you never know.
L3000.gif

Lol, probably not - but she'll appreciate true quality audio in time! I'll claim they have "retro appeal" and she'll claim "but they've been through retro three times already!"

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 12
Another vote for the Sennheiser PX100s. Simply stunning and the most remarkable value at just £15!

I've had to purchase £500+ worth of kit to get an appreciably better sound, according to my ears.

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At that price, if you shop around, you should be able to find a pair of grado SR60.

I've never seen a pair of Grado anything go for that sort of money this side of the ocean, believe me I've looked (still looking actually).

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #10 of 12
What of the igrado. should be nearly £40 online. at least I remember seeing them somewhere online for under £40. edit didn't see the she hates igrado part. no idea then. maybe, portapro. they're good for small heads.

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomCo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never seen a pair of Grado anything go for that sort of money this side of the ocean, believe me I've looked (still looking actually).

Ah, sorry. Didn't look at your location

Users who are viewing this thread

Back