Best Headphones for Rush?
Oct 4, 2011 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

mdonova33

100+ Head-Fier
I usually listen to Rush (the band) and would like headphones that play them the best, but also can play hip hop with some bass when I'm in the mood. So far I've heard the Ultrasone DJ1's, the ATH-M50's, and the Shure SRH750 DJ's. Which one do you consider the best for what I am looking for?

Thanks!

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 54
For rock, and especially for rock that can be complex like Rush I enjoy listening to it through my Grado SR225s. They let little details shine through that I missed out on before. Really fun pair of headphones to listen to rock music through. They also have a nice bass note for other genres. They are open though so they leak sound like theres no tomorrow.

If you want closed, the SRH840 is a good choice as well. Lots of detail, smaller sound stage, nice bass punch, super comfy whereas the Grados have a painful break in period. Happy Listening!

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 54

Quote:
For rock, and especially for rock that can be complex like Rush I enjoy listening to it through my Grado SR225s. They let little details shine through that I missed out on before. Really fun pair of headphones to listen to rock music through. They also have a nice bass note for other genres. They are open though so they leak sound like theres no tomorrow.

If you want closed, the SRH840 is a good choice as well. Lots of detail, smaller sound stage, nice bass punch, super comfy whereas the Grados have a painful break in period. Happy Listening!

Is a headphone being open a bad thing?

Also, is an amp needed with the SRH840 or the SR225's?

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 54
Denon AH-D2000.

It can do everything you want and do it well.

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #6 of 54
Well, since it's only Rush... 

:D

I keed. 

Look at the Grado's (SR80i or 225i) - they pair wonderfully with rock. If you are looking at sealed cans, maybe the ATH-M50, or the Ultrasone Hifi-580

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #8 of 54

Quote:

I keed. 

Look at the Grado's (SR80i or 225i) - they pair wonderfully with rock. If you are looking at sealed cans, maybe the ATH-M50, or the Ultrasone Hifi-580

Are open headphones better than closed, or vice versa? What's the difference in terms of sound?

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 54
Open isn't a bad or a good thing, it's a preference thing. Open headphones generally have a wider soundstage. However, they let sound in an out. If you are worried about bothering people in your surroundings, or you listen in a noisy environment, closed headphones would be a better option for you.

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #10 of 54
Alessandro MS1 worked for me. for $150 you might be abble to get a senn HD25, that one is perfect and not only for rush but rock in general. check out ebay, I remember some authorized seller giving the Basic Edition ( no bag or extra pads) for $140, cant remember the name of the store, Dog + something.

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #11 of 54
Generally speaking, open headphones have bigger soundstages and more expansive sound overall. This compliments a band like Rush - keeps Geddy's voice from being cramped (if you will).

What you sacrifice is isolation (both from outside noise, and leaking your music to the outside world). Whether isolation is important to you, depends on your preferences and listening conditions.

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #12 of 54

Quote:

I keed. 

That was uncalled for! It's not like they're Spandau Ballet! Never PO a Rush-head, they'll smack you with their Ayn Rand book.

Grado's would sound good for Lifeson's guitar at that price point (SR80i is all you need).

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #14 of 54
Between the SR225's, SR80's, and the SRH750's, are they also able to play hip hop with bass? I love that they bring out the best in quality of sound of Rush, but do they also make hip hop sound well?

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #15 of 54
I've got my SR225i's cranking some Tribe Called Quest right now - sounds great, bass is tight and punchy.

With that said - They are not "bass-head" cans. The Ultrasone Hfi-780 or 580 are more along that line. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back