Best headphones for running
Oct 9, 2017 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Funkyd04

New Head-Fier
I usually run with my pair of free iphone earbuds. While i actually really like their sound (and have had trouble finding more expensive headphones that are both more detailed AND have a similar full sound), They dont stay in my ears very well. After a few miles of running they will start slipping out as i start to sweat.

I tried Etymonic PT-4's, and while i really enjoy their isolation and beautiful detail and clarity, they have NO bass. Not very fulfilling for most of my music. If i were doing nothing but podcasts though, these might be perfect.

I just picked up the bose soundsports. While i love how comfortable they are, the open design doesn't lend it self to enjoying detail in music. The headphones in fact are pretty good in its detail and accuracy in high frequencies, but i find the mids to be WAY too overpowering. Makes sense though, because as noise leaks through the open earbuds, the strong mids tend to overpower ambient noise very well. Either way, these headphones are hard to enjoy due to their overpowering mids. Not a fan.

I have the 1more quads on the way so i'll be trying those soon, but am unsure if they'll stay in my ear after i get to sweating. I'm also considering the Bose soundtrue Ultra's as they have the same design in comfort as the soundsports, but supposedly provide better sound. If they're identical to the soundsports but with a much more V shaped sound signature, then they might be perfect.

Any suggestions? Should i look towards the Focal Sphere?

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 5
The earphones that are most comfortable to me and are easiest to work out with are:
  • KZ ZST (you might find the treble on these a bit too harsh but if you use Comply's sports foam tips they do tame down the treble quite significantly)
  • KZ ZS3 (these are some of the most comfortable earphones you can use and have a decent warm signature which lends itself well to working out)
  • Tennmak Pro (same shell as the Shure SE215 so they are very comfortable and stay in your ears well and are relatively inexpensive)
I usually use them with a Bluetooth module which is fairly affordable for both of those brands.

I prefer not to use overly expensive earphones for working out since I'm likely wearing them out faster than I would with normal listening due to the sweat. I'm not sure if those will suit your taste, but those are the ones I use and work for me.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 5
  • KZ ZST (you might find the treble on these a bit too harsh but if you use Comply's sports foam tips they do tame down the treble quite significantly)
  • KZ ZS3 (these are some of the most comfortable earphones you can use and have a decent warm signature which lends itself well to working out)

I second both of these. The ZS3 are some of the most comfortable IEMs I have and stay in my ears like no other. The sound signature is also very warm and rich in bass, which I personally like while working out. The ZST is a step down in terms of a workout IEM in my opinion but still on the shortlist of top options, especially on a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back