Best Headphones for Rock/Metal but also versatile?
Feb 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #16 of 24
  I have another question.  The 7506s sound better to me through my iPod than they do through my laptop.  Is this just a factor of the iPod being designed for music exclusively and the computer sound card lacking?  I have a Samsung Ativ Book 8 and am running iTunes.  Would an amp help these headphones through the laptop?  Please excuse the lack of expertise-I'm extremely new to the audiophile world so this is all foreign to me.

The laptop soundcard is probably not good, in that case- and yes, as StoneDeaf4Ever said, an amp will help both the laptop and the iPod. For headphones in this price range, amps are typically not needed but will benefit the headphone and will sound better from both the laptop and iPod. If you're really concerned, then just get a cheap FiiO. 

Hope this helped!

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #17 of 24

The laptop soundcard is probably not good, in that case- and yes, as StoneDeaf4Ever said, an amp will help both the laptop and the iPod. For headphones in this price range, amps are typically not needed but will benefit the headphone and will sound better from both the laptop and iPod. If you're really concerned, then just get a cheap FiiO. 

Hope this helped!

I'm definitely trying to keep this as cheap as possible.  I'm not sure exactly what a DAC/AMP combo means but the FiiO E6 is really cheap.  Would this possibly be a small help through the laptop?  I saw a few reviews that said they really help the M50s which from what I've heard are compatible soundwise to the 7506s.  I was thinking about doing a comparison between the M50s and 7506s.  Any comments on that for which are better? 

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #18 of 24

An amp will definitely help with either the laptop or the ipod. Neither one of those devices is built for driving a decent pair of over the ear headphones. I'm kind of in the same boat as you; I listen to a lot of rock and metal through the 7506. I have them plugged into a cheap amp/dac combo (Total Bithead) and they sound great. I also use a software equalizer to tweak things since the 7506 has such a flat frequency response. It's possible your ipod has an equalizer enabled and that could account for the difference you hear.

If you do stick with the Sony headphones, pick up the Beyerdynamic velour replacement earpads. They are much better than the crummy plastic ones that come with the 7506.

What amp/dac do you use? 

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #19 of 24

I'm definitely trying to keep this as cheap as possible.  I'm not sure exactly what a DAC/AMP combo means but the FiiO E6 is really cheap.  Would this possibly be a small help through the laptop?  I saw a few reviews that said they really help the M50s which from what I've heard are compatible soundwise to the 7506s.  I was thinking about doing a comparison between the M50s and 7506s.  Any comments on that for which are better? 

A DAC is a digital to analog converter so it takes your analog music into digital music and this is necessary for every music playing device except most companies will just use the cheapest DAC they can use. The DAC in the FiiO will override the DAC in your laptop and convert music there. So yes, if you want it, it will help the sound of the laptop and the iPod a bit.

The M50's and 7506's sound different as in the 7506's will sound more analytic while the M50's will sound more fun. The M50's will be a bit better but don't expect massive improvement. IMO, the M50's do not need an amp to shine until you buy more expensive headphones where there'll be more benefits of an amp or DAC. 

Hope this helped!

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #20 of 24

A DAC is a digital to analog converter so it takes your analog music into digital music and this is necessary for every music playing device except most companies will just use the cheapest DAC they can use. The DAC in the FiiO will override the DAC in your laptop and convert music there. So yes, if you want it, it will help the sound of the laptop and the iPod a bit.

The M50's and 7506's sound different as in the 7506's will sound more analytic while the M50's will sound more fun. The M50's will be a bit better but don't expect massive improvement. IMO, the M50's do not need an amp to shine until you buy more expensive headphones where there'll be more benefits of an amp or DAC. 

Hope this helped!

This is all really helpful.  Glad I signed up.  I think as a more casual listener the "fun" sound may be more what I'm looking for but we'll see if the lack of analytical is worth the tradeoff.  Guitar center will have some of the new models in this week so I'm gonna give them a run.  Appreciate you guys taking the time to help out a rookie

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #21 of 24
Hey, anytime! 
biggrin.gif

PM me if you need any help or wanna talk. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back