Best Headphones for Prog Trance, Trance and Uplifting Trance (within my budget)
Mar 7, 2013 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Pedro Oliveira

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys...

Sorry to bother but i am in a dilema here... Here's the deal... I love all types of music but i a lean a little bit towards EDM. Love House, Prog House, Prog Tance and Upfliting Trance, especially the last two genres (but i am going to ear other types of music such as rock or Pop of Course).

Hi already have 2 pairs of Headphones, the AKG K518JB (all black) and the AKG K514 MK2. The 518 are not bad, but they are not really my thing, to much bass and a muffled and dark sound because tha bass covers and ruins everything else. The 514 are good for quite listening but they sound kind of tiny and have almost no bass.

So what i really want is a pair of cans for home use thats has good clarity, a good but precise bass, but most important of all very good and sparkly treble for the uplifting trance (for example yesterday i was listening to anjunabeats volume 10 with my k518 and the bass just ***** everything up).

The CAL! and M50 have been recomended. I was leaning towards the CAL! since i dont watt to spend much and since the CAL!'s have amazing reviews.
Although i also saw thar the CAL! have a little overpowering bass, so i am afraid that if i get this i will end up with a pair similar to my 518's and completely opposed to what i am searching.

The M50 also have amazing review and people say the treble in this really shines, but does it shine really that much to the point of costing twice as meuch as the CAL's?

As i said i dont want to spend much money... I know the M50's are much more better built than the aurvana's but since i am using them at home (neither of them are very good for street use, so that's why i will keep my 518's) that soes not really matter.

So... Soundwise, wich ones do you think will be more suitable for my likings? I am leaning towards the Aurvana for 60 euros but if they have "dark" sound and no good highs i will try to wait a little longer and give 120 for the m50's (although i really did not wish to spend that much... :frowning2:  )

Please help me guys...

Thank you...

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 30
Mar 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #3 of 30
The Philips Uptown has amazing highs for the price and they sound very balanced with good detailed mids, deep bass and comfy to wear for hours. Other headphones Sony ZX700, skullcandy over ear headphones are pretty good for the price with extended highs.

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 30
Thank u for the reply guys... :) Actually another user on this forum had also advised me the s500's.
The philips Uptown are really good looking, kind of like the Senn's Momentum but that thin cable does not inspire me with freat confidence for durability.... And actually i have a Xperia Arc S and i don't know why when i tried some shibuyas they did not work on my phone and i already saw someone round here saying that also this ones dont work with some android phones...

Besides from that? Those Philips are really that good? Form the ones you said wich do you thinj it would be more suitable for me HFAUDIOPHILE?

You don't think thats the Cal's or the M50's Would suit my needs? Also had the Superlux HD668b in mind but many people told me these were not great for trance because beside having a bright an airy sound the highs are really too much.

But i am only saying what i have been told, never actually tried any of these models so thats why i am asking for help. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 30
I believe I saw a brand new fostex dynamic headphone on headfonia. Suppose to be around the same price as an m50 with better performance. I really enjoy fostex headphones and this would be somthin that no one else has. Really ugly purple on it though.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 30
Im not an audiophile so I cant really tell you what are the best cans. I just can tell you that I have the M50 LE and Im very happy with them.

I had the same problem like you, I listen to a lot of musical genres but my main thing is Trance (you know, ASOT and such). I had a pair of Beyer' COPs and although the bass was powerful and fun to hear, the melodies got hide and lost a lot of clarity. It was very noticeable with stuff like Andrew Rayel's aether mixes, for example.

The M50s doesnt have a punchy bass, but it goes deep and IMO its better for Trance this way. The melodies sounds very clear now. At first the highs were slightly harsh but that feeling dissapeared in a couple of days (dunno if its because of burn-in or me just getting used).
They are also comfortable as hell, but I have a tiny head. I think they would need a little stretching with big heads.
Only thing lacking is a little more soundstage, but I think is not that useful for trance. Anyways. I heard the CAL have a little more soundstage so that may be a point for you.

As I said, I really didnt try much cans so I can really recomend you the best for your needs, I just wanted to share my experience with the M50 for if it helps you.

If you buy them from Amazon or Thomann you can return them in 30 days if they dont please you.

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #8 of 30
Thank u very much Ferr! Finally someone who understand's and shares my needs... XD

I do also listen to ASOT and as you very well described i really need good and precise bass, but i do also need more than anything beautifull bright sound (not muffled or dark like my K518's) an well detailled highs to enphasize great uplifting tracks from artists like andrew rayel.

As i said i wanted to spend as less as possible, but if u say that the m50's are way ahead or the Aurvana's i will try to save some money to buy the m50's next month.

Since you have listened to both i wanted to ask you, the difference between sound in both sets is very different? The Aurvana's are bright or does the bass cover most of the tracks making the highs feel recessed?

Thank you very much once again Ferr and hope other people in the same "boat" as us can give their opinion... :)

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #9 of 30
No, No, I didnt heard the Aurvana (CAL),  If you check I said I had the COPs (Beyerdynamic Custom Pro) another cans that are recomended for EDM. Sorry for the confusion.

I have read that CALs are kind of similar to M50, a little more warm and with slightly better soundstage, while M50 have slightly better treble, but I cant give you impresions, never listened to them, sorry :frowning2:

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #10 of 30
Sorry Ferr, my mistake...

So by warm sound you mean the Cal's have a more rolled off treble and more emphasis on the low frequencies (bass) right?
The beyer's you had are even more expensive than the m50's you did not like the sound? 
As i said i wanted to spend as less as possible being the CAL! my first choice until i heard they have a little more "warm" sound as you said. Some peolple tell me they are just fantastic and that the reble is not rolled off, but not everyone like sound the same and it is really difficult to choose headphones when u never tried none of them. :)
As is said the CAL! were my first choice because of all the hype and price, but this week i have searched a lot here on head fi and the m50's are probably even more recomended than the cal's and they are praised for their amazing treble capabilities and very accurate bass. 

So the problem is the M50's cost 119 euros while the CAL's are usually around 60 euros and sometimes creative puts them at 50 euros with shipping already included on their online store.

If someone tells me that the difference between both is little i will stick to the CAL's. Now if the M50's are way more worth it, i will try to wait and save a little more for them (maybe i will even sell my k518 to help purchasing the m50's).

I know that the M50's are a lot more well constructed, but since it will be mostly for home usage the question here is really is the sound in both very different?

Let's see if anyone who as tried both can help me a little bit more. :)

But thank you very very very much ferr because you seem to really comprehend my needs and what i am looking for. :)

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #14 of 30
Thank you for the suggestion Sound Quest. They do actually are used by AVB or at least they were. There are not many reviews of the on the web though... I am affraid that this ones might be better for performing rather than for casual and home listening because Dj headphones are usually rich in low frequences so they can be used to mix in noisy envirionments, not sure ir the same applies to the treble too... But this ones have been indeed used by a couple of dj's and they must be very good for that purpose and they are not very expensive too. Too bad the are not many reviews and the ones i saw basically are very lacking and only say that the sound is very good (very basic description) and that they are very well built.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion Sound Quest. They do actually are used by AVB or at least they were. There are not many reviews of the on the web though... I am affraid that this ones might be better for performing rather than for casual and home listening because Dj headphones are usually rich in low frequences so they can be used to mix in noisy envirionments, not sure ir the same applies to the treble too... But this ones have been indeed used by a couple of dj's and they must be very good for that purpose and they are not very expensive too. Too bad the are not many reviews and the ones i saw basically are very lacking and only say that the sound is very good (very basic description) and that they are very well built.

I know what you mean about the reviews being too vague.

But the impression I get of them from reading the reviews that are there is that they are pretty well balanced headphones with sparkling highs and bass that doesn't dominate or sufficate the midrange in anyway.

Pro DJ's rely more on accuracy than they do on bass emphasis as it helps them to mix more harmonically.

If AVB has used them on the club scene, its also possible that he's used them in the studio also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back