Best headphones for Pink Floyd under $350 (outside US). PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING.
May 28, 2008 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Kuba

Head-Fier
Please do not vote if you've heard only one of the listed headphones with Pink Floyd. For the purpose of this tread, lets treat Pink Floyd as an individual genre (it really is one in a way), not just a rock band. So if you like rock in general and listen only to a couple of Pink Floyd's well known masterpieces
wink.gif
, please mention it before the actual response and please do not vote.

Sorry if I start getting annoying and obstrusive with this subject, but my "thread ressurection" (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...22/index3.html) didn't work thanks to threadcrappers. I hope this is not a vulgar or offensive word (not a huge surprise I couldn't find it in any dictionary).

I'll just copy and paste my post from the thread from the link:

From what I've read hd 600/650 seems to be the best choice for Pink Floyd. However, amping might be an issue here. Right now all I have is an iBasso T2, but a "proper" dedicated headphone amplifier is on my ASAP list. iMod is my only source. I plan to buy one of ALO docks, Auricap most probably, but not in the nearest future. Since I have no point of reference, I guess that they will sound good to me anyway with my current rig and the SQ will get noticabely better with all the improvements. Correct or am I fooling myself? Even if it's the latter, I think that I could "suffer" a bit until I get a decent amp.

If the HD series in general is the best choice, which one should I buy? According to Headroom the differences between 600 and 650 are pretty minor using mid-fi equipement, which I consider mine to be (after the planned improvements too). I'd be very glad to save some money by choosing 600s over 650s.

How about MS2s? Even if they suit Pink Floyd, are they in the same league as HD 600/650? Bang for the buck is a very important factor to me. That's why there are no Grados in this poll, since I live outside US.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

May 28, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 60
it really depends on what type of presentation is preferred (laid back vs. involving vs. analytical) and I like involving presentation when listening to almost all rock music, so I'll vote for MS2i. And although my preference is 325i over MS2i, I understand grados are more expensive in EU (I'm assuming that's where you are) due to VAT.

so My vote is 1) 325i (if you can grab it without taxes) and 2) MS2i

May 28, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 60
I haven't voted because Pink Floyd needs something else than "rock cans" like Grados to make guitars punchy. To have PF sounding right, IMHO you need the same kind of phones you'd use to listen large symphonic works with organ. Something balanced, with a good response below 50Hz down to 20Hz, great midrange and the kind of treble which is resolutive and extended but not harsh or bright.

Out of the cans I know well, I love with PF the DX-1000 and MD5000. A step below would be the R10 and CD3000 and a bit below them the HD600 and K701.
So in the price range you're asking, probably the HD600 or K701 do equally well for different reasons, although I don't think they're the "perfect" cans to have the "PF experience" at its best.

Rgrds.

May 28, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 60
I'd go for the 650s, got 8 PF 'bums including The Wall[which is double really].

I think their suitability to classical lends itself to playing deep/technical music.

May 28, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 60
Most responses will tell you that the Sennheisers will be the best, since they run deep and heavy in the bass department. But not me. Personally, I think that the most neutral headphone will show off Pink Floyd best. Why? Because there is soooo much more to their music than just the bass - and cans like the Sennheisers, while making the bass sound terrific (though overblown) will not do justice to the balance of the music. So I voted for the one choice that I've found to be the most neutral - the AKG K701s.

But the best advice I can offer is to try and hear as many of your choices as possible, and then let your ears tell you which sounds best "to you!!!"

May 28, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 60
^ Senns are bass-heavy? Lol, I've heard it all now.

I've heard them being called 'anaemic' plenty of times and of course the infamous veil.

May 29, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 60
I have to say IMHO no way on the Senn's. Listened to some Pink Floyd last night with my modded 580's (650 grilles-Apuresound recable) and then switched to 325i's. There is absolutely no comparison between the two. Much much better with the Grados. My MS1's even blew the 580's away. Don't think you would ever be happy with the 650's. I love my 580's, but for Pink Floyd, no.

May 29, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #12 of 60
I have to say IMHO no way on the Senn's. Listened to some Pink Floyd last night with my modded 580's (650 grilles-Apuresound recable) and then switched to 325i's. There is absolutely no comparison between the two. Much much better with the Grados. My MS1's even blew the 580's away. Don't think you would ever be happy with the 650's. I love my 580's, but for Pink Floyd, no.

Check these out.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...sr-80s-329627/

May 29, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 60
Grados were made for Pink Floyd. I didn't vote, but FWIW the K701s don't sound very good at all with PF on my system. The Grados blow them out of the water.

May 29, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Check these out.

Sorry, but I think that you listen to sounds, not the music itself. (I think you are not a Pink Floyd fan
smily_headphones1.gif
"Listened to some Pink Floyd last night with my modded 580's (650 grilles-Apuresound recable) and then switched to 325i's" )

"Much much better with the Grados. My MS1's even blew the 580's away. "
Last night you found this?
Better in witch way?
For me the HD595 and HD650(not mine) made my tears come out with "The final cut" or with "The wall"
Organic sound is the key with Pink Floyd and that's why I'll choose HD650 out of those (DT880 not, k701 and D2000 I don't know).

For me: [size=medium]Pink Floyd [/size] [size=xx-small]rest of the music[/size]

I think OP is just like me, a PF addict!
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I have HD650 coming (will see what amp and source
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Sorry, not trying to be rude! But when I heard PF out of SR225 ("The final cut") ..."well aah the sounds are here, but where is the feeling?"

Sorry for my english!

May 29, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #15 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Check these out.

Upgraded my 580s for 650s. Sound nothing alike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back