Best headphones for music and movies
Sep 24, 2018 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jonathan1107

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm looking Advice on which headphones to buy to use for movies music and gaming.

On terms of budget, we're talking between 200 CAD$ to 400$ CAD.

I intend to use the headphones to listen to music, movies, tv shows and a lot of gaming as well.

My personal preference is for headphones that deliver a high resolution, that have high quality and balanced bass. I dislike the overly bass focused headphones where you feel like the bass is so pronounced you can't hear the rest of the spectrum... I like sharp balanced trebles as well... Obviously mids are important but not as much for my usage.

For reference, I've been using only one headset in the past years, the sennheiser pc360... Lately the sennheiser pc360 special edition... Although I have no idea what is the difference between the two. If someone can tell me the difference between the two I'm giving out an award! I've been looking all over the web to find the difference and I can't find it. So yeah, in reference, I've used the pc360 for years and I've found that they're incredibly balanced, nothing is too pronounced, which in the end I ended up not liking all that much... And they have a great sound stage (for surround sound in gaming and movies twas quite useful)

I loved everything about my sennheiser pc360 except 2 things:

- I found them to be NOT so comfortable. The headset band is quite strong and puts a lot of pressure on my head... You get used to it but yeah... I did love the cloth pads though

- I found them to feel weak in the sense that they're si balanced that some stuff I listened to almost made then look bad. I suspect that might have been Becuase for a time I was using them without an amp.

Which boils this whole thread down to two questions:

- which headphones would you recommend?

- which amp/sound card setup could be a good affordable match for my headphones? CONSIDERING I need the soundcard/amp to work both for my pc gaming needs and xbox one x gaming needs/entertainment?

I'm thinking either buy a high end headphones set with an affordable sound card like the xonar dx

Or get the sennheiser pc360se again but with a higher end soundcard/amp this time around

(my pc360 were stolen btw for those wondering...)
Edit : I forgot to mention that it'd be cool if the proposed headset had removable cable so I pop in a mic. I don't think id like a table mic

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 3
I intend to use the headphones to listen to music, movies, tv shows and a lot of gaming as well.

Even that the Denon D2000 can be looked as seriously outdated, still my number one for movies/TV shows and accasional gaming (if your gaming style doesn't require footstep pinpointing etc)

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #3 of 3
Overall I have to say Sennheiser HD58x has been most enjoyable for me for movies, tv and gaming. It's simple the best $150 I've ever spent for audio. Easily driven from all my sources.

For music, well that depends on the genre and my mood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back