Best Headphones for mid range price?
Mar 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bhpchen94

New Head-Fier
What would you guys say is the best headphones for the mid price range?

I currently own Bose QC 15 and Beats Studio I know both garbage but they were free.

Hope you guys can help my aid in becoming a audiophile :)

Thanks!

1st post!

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 16
What kind of music do you listen to?

Denon AH-D2000 [2]
You can get the Denon's for $200 on electronics expo open box or if they are sold out electronics expo will ussually be selling them open box on amazon under used for $220.

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
What would you guys say is the best headphones for the mid price range?
I currently own Bose QC 15 and Beats Studio I know both garbage but they were free.
Hope you guys can help my aid in becoming a audiophile :)

What source(s) are you plugging your headphones into?
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm ($200), sounds better when used with an amp.

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 16
Don't worry about fidelity then - you'll be deaf soon enough and it won't matter!

And no, I don't mean this as a direct attack; http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/loud-music-sucks

Anyways, I would pass on the Denon D2000 as it sounds like you're going to use these on the go, and they are not the most durable headphones ever made (and that's my sole gripe with them, sonically they will likely do what you want). The Beyerdynamics are going to stand-up better to prolonged (ab)use, and if those don't suit you, there's a number of DJ cans that might be worth considering (Audio-Technica, Pioneer, and Allen&Heath all come to mind here). Again, they'll survive mobile use better, and still get you bass and enough SPLs to ensure substantial hearing damage. 

You might also consider in-ears, as they'll likely provide more isolation (which may let you get away with turning the volume down and sparing your hearing; alternately, they're usually very sensitive and can accelerate the hearing loss process if you really want); there's an ocean of options, and I'm not extremely well versed in all of them. The one set I can absolutely suggest based on your criteria are the Denon AH-C751, which have very good low-end response and are fairly affordable for what they offer. I've read about the Klipsch X10 being a "step up" (and it isn't substantially more money), but I haven't bothered to test them out myself. Might also look at some of the options from UE and Ety; I have the Ety hearing protectors and can tell you they isolate very well, and are quite comfortable - the versions that actually make sound can't be all bad based on that. 
Quote:
I like loud and bass in my music basically hip hop, dubstep, sometimes melodic tunes. Also preferabbly a 3.5mm jack

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Keep them coming!

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 16
hd650 if you can find them on sale, but that won't include an amp/dac

i got my hd650's for about $350 on amazon a few months ago, and i could not be happier (unless i had an hd800, i guess, but that is besides the point)

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #12 of 16
Sell the Beats and Bose, up another $150(or a little more?), get the D5000, and be done with it.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Don't worry about fidelity then - you'll be deaf soon enough and it won't matter!

And no, I don't mean this as a direct attack; http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/loud-music-sucks

Anyways, I would pass on the Denon D2000 as it sounds like you're going to use these on the go, and they are not the most durable headphones ever made (and that's my sole gripe with them, sonically they will likely do what you want). The Beyerdynamics are going to stand-up better to prolonged (ab)use, and if those don't suit you, there's a number of DJ cans that might be worth considering (Audio-Technica, Pioneer, and Allen&Heath all come to mind here). Again, they'll survive mobile use better, and still get you bass and enough SPLs to ensure substantial hearing damage. 

You might also consider in-ears, as they'll likely provide more isolation (which may let you get away with turning the volume down and sparing your hearing; alternately, they're usually very sensitive and can accelerate the hearing loss process if you really want); there's an ocean of options, and I'm not extremely well versed in all of them. The one set I can absolutely suggest based on your criteria are the Denon AH-C751, which have very good low-end response and are fairly affordable for what they offer. I've read about the Klipsch X10 being a "step up" (and it isn't substantially more money), but I haven't bothered to test them out myself. Might also look at some of the options from UE and Ety; I have the Ety hearing protectors and can tell you they isolate very well, and are quite comfortable - the versions that actually make sound can't be all bad based on that. 

I guess it's a good thing I don't listen to my music loud 95% of the time! Also, I agree with everyone who said to sell your beats and bose bhpchen94.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #15 of 16
Here are some options if you're on the go and need isolation:

V-MODA M-80 (decent isolation but big, great sound for on-ears)
Sennheiser HD25 (very good isolation, great all-rounders)
KRK KNS-8400 (good isolation, very balanced sound and great detail)
ATH-M50 (good isolation, fun sound)

If you're going to be using them at home, Denons are the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back