Best headphones for listening to jazz vocalists??
Sep 9, 2009 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

jordan85

New Head-Fier
My pop's birthday is coming up and I would like to get him a good set of headphones for when he as at home working on his comp. Really the only things that are important are:

1) good for listening to jazz, and jazz vocalists especially. He listens to classic rock, but for the most part he listens to predominately jazz, and especially jazz vocalists
2) can be driven efficienty directly off the comp
3) under $100. I would gladly spend a lot more on a good pair for him, but my dad is a penny pincher and anything over that he wouldn't be able to enjoy them because he would be so hung up on the cost.
4) comfortable

Sorry to just ask flat out, but I have been so caught up in my own search for DJ headphones that I don't really have the energy to start searching for a new beast of headphones right now

So what you guys think?? Am I entering Grato SR60 territory?

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 50
I suggest you take a look at theATH-AD900. It has slightly emphasized mids, making it a perfect headphone for vocal music.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see your maximum price when I posted. Forget about my suggestion, then.

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 50
I think the PHX (velour cushions used) on the Denon DCM-370 is incredible with single vocalists and jazzy stuff, but Numark's OEM doesn't match drivers. So you'd probably have to buy a couple pairs and keep the one or two that are o.k. I do not think Grados are comfortable and though the Ortofons are more comfy than the PHX, they're out of your budget. My crazy idea about what I think you should do in your quest for DJ cans and your dad's present I go into in further detail in the djforums message reply. Later.

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 50
I would go for some older orthodynamic, available on ebay. At the moment you will find nearly new Yamaha YH-1.

My estimations for this proposal )
1) give reaaaly good sound when we talk about classical rock (esp. guitars), beats most dynamic hps in jazz vocals
2) should be ok even having high impedance
3) I hope
smily_headphones1.gif

4) yes

You will find more information on wikiphonia

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 50
Orthos have a more forward midrange, right? If so, that would definitely be something to look into. The AKG 270 series, while I don't think it's a studio can like the O-One, has a midrange that is also appropriate. More $$$, though.

On the PHX, I did some more testing of the driver matching and must add the caveat of it being worse than I thought. It's not just overall sensitivity the OEM is not matching, but also frequency response and phasing from top to bottom. There seems to be a wild variation. I really like the drivers in them, but I'm not sure even buying four for $200 would guarantee one would be a keeper. If you can get them locally, maybe that's different. I still can't get around their sexy midrange & sibilants or deep sub bass, but their phasing and balance mismatch is shameful. Maybe for $50 it's too much to ask? I would gladly pay double for Ultrasone/Ortofon-grade driver matching.

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reticuli2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Orthos have a more forward midrange, right?

Kind of
smily_headphones1.gif
but most have. They are great for vocals also because you will hardly have sibilants... so highs are not harsh while being almost cristall clear.

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 50
Grado GS1000

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #13 of 50
^^^under $100, not $1000. :\

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #14 of 50
See if you can turn up a used AKG K-501. They've been going a little over $100, but they're worth every cent. The K-501 is damn close to the highest end for jazz vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back