Best Headphones for Keyboard/Synthesizer
Mar 1, 2012 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

samuelb

New Head-Fier
Hello folks.

I need some budget headphones to use for practice on my Korg X50 Synthesizer. I play all kinds of sounds, so clarity is kinda important. My options right now are:

• Sony MDR V 150
  • Sennheiser HD 203
  • AKG K 44

So, which one do you think I should buy? My budget for now is INR 2000 (I live in India), which should come upto around $50-$60. But I can afford a little more money, but no more than $110.

So should I buy a budget headphone and live with it or do you think my need demands a few more bucks to be spent, and what do you think of the ones I mentioned on top???

And PS, do I need a headphone amp or can I just plug headphones directly into my synth's headphone port?

Thank a lot you for your help!!!!

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 4
Hello: I'd like to jump in here, because I've had a frightfully hard time choosing a headphone for my Yamaha CP 300 keyboard... It's a studio-level instrument, and I've made a few very bad choices in the past...

Let me explain: First off, do NOT be tempted to buy any high quality audiophile headphones, the type of which you would normally use for your home audio system...

Why?... Because some of the waveforms in synths and digital pianos are just too severe for that type of can... Take my word for it... I've been through the ringer on this one... Esp. if you're using a headphone amp in conjunction with the keyboard...

The best headphone I've used so far for my keyboard?... The Sennheiser HD 380 Pro... No kidding... I've tried a number of "professional" headphones in the $600.00 range, and they all sounded thin and unconvincing... Worse yet, they all had stray sympathetic resonances at certain frequencies, esp. pure tones or some synth voices that emit a near square wave... Terrible!...

If anyone out there has a similar instrument as mine, and you have ACTUALLY TRIED a high quality headphone that produces good results, please let me know... I'm still searching...

Notable bombs:

*  AKG K 712

* Beyerdynamic T70 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back