Best headphones for jogging (ER4P too much microphonics)
May 26, 2005 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

mhao

New Head-Fier
I recently bought the Etymotics ER4P. I love the isolation, but the microphonics when jogging are unbearable. I actually don't hear my footsteps, so much as the buds jiggling inside my ear with each step. I am using the gray foam ear plugs -- I don't know if the microphonics would be different with the flanges.

I'm wondering which of these I should get:
  1. Koss The Plug. According to this site, they provide as much isolation as Etymotics. Can $15 headphones really do that? I guess they're cheap enough for me to try out myself.
  2. Etymotics ER6i.
  3. Shure e3c.

It seems the ER6i and e3c both have better microphonics compared to ER4p, but what about compared to each other?

May 26, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 27
I think a good bet for jogging would be EX-71's, though I have experienced wind to become a problem (Not by speed, jogging isnt that fast, unless you are very insane about it, but by wind itself)

Though, my modded EX71's (Thread by me can be found that describes them, no pics though) have zero of this problem, and dont seem to have any microphonics. That, and you get the ety isolation and comfort (Same/close flanges :p)

May 26, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 27
Have you tried an open phone for jogging? I formerly used only closed phones for exercise, but switched to KSC-35’s when my sweat melted one of my old earbuds. I would recommend at least trying an open phone, if for nothing else than the improved awareness of your surroundings.

Open phones don’t allow that much noise from the environment to come through- they just allow you to be able to hear outside of your head when you need/want to. For me, the improvement in the quality of sound with my KSC-35's was well worth the sacrifice of isolation.

May 27, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB.
Have you tried an open phone for jogging? I formerly used only closed phones for exercise, but switched to KSC-35’s when my sweat melted one of my old earbuds. I would recommend at least trying an open phone, if for nothing else than the improved awareness of your surroundings.

Open phones don’t allow that much noise from the environment to come through- they just allow you to be able to hear outside of your head when you need/want to. For me, the improvement in the quality of sound with my KSC-35's was well worth the sacrifice of isolation.

ok, that is disgusting... but wouldnt the ksc75s be a bit better?

May 27, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by PDream
I think a good bet for jogging would be EX-71's, though I have experienced wind to become a problem (Not by speed, jogging isnt that fast, unless you are very insane about it, but by wind itself)

Though, my modded EX71's (Thread by me can be found that describes them, no pics though) have zero of this problem, and dont seem to have any microphonics. That, and you get the ety isolation and comfort (Same/close flanges :p)

i've been using my EX71s for jogging, and have noticed that the weight of the mini-to-mini extension connector causes the left bud to move while running. for this reason, i wouldn't recommend it - PDream, did you have any trouble w/ this?

May 27, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by panic689
i've been using my EX71s for jogging, and have noticed that the weight of the mini-to-mini extension connector causes the left bud to move while running. for this reason, i wouldn't recommend it - PDream, did you have any trouble w/ this?

Yeah I gave up on all types of buds in the summer. Even with very light ones, that are snug, the wind picks up the cord, and yanks one of the buds out once in a while. Plus there is moisture build up in the ear canal, so it becomes easier for the buds to pop out. Very annoying.

In the winter/fall it is alright, since the hat keeps the buds pressed snug in, but in the summer, I have been using Sony MDRW25G:
MDRW25G_lg.jpg

These are very light, even if they look bulky, and even though they are at the bottom of the Sony pile sound wise, they stay in your ear, which I would much rather have, than fanstastic sounding cans, that constantly pop out.

I got mine for 19 bucks, pick them up, if you dont like them no big loss hehehe.

btw, my old thread on the very same topic:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113587

May 27, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by panic689

For this reason, I find the EX51LP are actually the best for running. I find the Ex71 more suitable for commuting with its extra cord length. I use the ex51 all the time for runs. they are comfortable and I don't get much wind noise. they isolate just enough to let you concentrate and also their small size makes them easy to clean off any sweat afterwards.

May 27, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB.

hello,

Damn,

I heard of acid rain before but acid sweat?

May 27, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fappar
ok, that is disgusting... but wouldnt the ksc75s be a bit better?

For me, the 35’s are much better for exercise- they are so light that you forget they are on. The 75’s are just as comfortable, but I never forget that I am wearing them. In fact, during strenuous exercise they are heavy enough that over time they can become irritating.
I can’t remember ever having them fall off, not even with excessive movement.

(JB. remembers something which may illustrate this point. Gets camera. Takes photo. Edits photo. Puts on photobucket. Links photo to post to make meaningless point)
KSC35package.jpg

In fact, if you look at the KSC-35 package, two of the three people on the front are excercising! (well, pretending to be excercising for the sake of us consumers) The clip design is even called the “Sportclip” and the canvas bag included in the package looks suspiciously gym-like (the later model 35 comes with a pleather drawstring bag, once Koss realized that these could be marketed for more than just excercise).

May 27, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 27
Thanks everyone for your replies. One more thing:

Isolation is exteremly important to me. With the ER4p's, I absolutely love not being able to hears cars/street noise unless they are within 50 feet of me. I jog in a somewhat sleepy neighborhood, so it's not dangerous. In-ear canal phones are a must.

First I'll try the Koss (which seem similar to PDream's modded EX71's). If those aren't good enough, then I'll try the e3c's.

May 27, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #11 of 27
I recently started taking my E3c's to the gym. This gym has exercising running / cycling machines in front of silent TV's showing videos etc., and there are little devices on the exercising machines with headphone outs, you can select channel, volume, and listen. The E3c's are great at the gym. Great isolation, and no microphonics that I can detect, even though the cable sometimes is jumping quite all over the place between me and the machine.

May 27, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #13 of 27
I wear HD650s. I run on an unlit rural road close to midnight with my dog on a leash in one hand and carrying an 18lb iron digging rod in the other to ward off the occasional vole.
eggosmile.gif
Don't hear a damn thing beyond the music.

May 27, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mintyfresh
I wear HD650s. I run on an unlit rural road close to midnight with my dog on a leash in one hand and carrying an 18lb iron digging rod in the other to ward off the occasional vole.
eggosmile.gif
Don't hear a damn thing beyond the music.

650s while jogging...hahaha, that's insane. Only the HD280s would look funnier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back