Best headphones for iphone7 under 1000 $
Apr 5, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #16 of 31
Hello guys

I am new to this forum and also not very familiar with expensive sound equipment
I own BW P5, I bought it about 7 years ago, and use it about 2-3 years ago, then I lost them, I like the sound of them, but as I remember it was very hot with them id use more than 1 hour.
also own about a year some bose in-ear for 150 $, but dont enjoy them, not comfortable for me. 
Also own Bose qc35 for 2 month like the sound, but then gift them to my friend

Now I want to buy expensive headphones - 1000 $ limit mostly for travel with them in airplane or whatever, also need to use them with my laptop for cinema and gaming. I dont want to use dac/amplifier/player from the start but in future maybe. I like all modern music, and some rock. dont listen opera or like that

So I do small research about 2 evening what to buy, and think to buy OPPO PM-3. what do you think ? any other option for me? Please need advise ! I need headphones with good design only

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #17 of 31
I really am fond of the PM3 sound signature for a closed can. But be sure and try them on if you can, or if you can't, give yourself enough time to return them if need be. I got a pair in advance of a series of long flights and returned them because I found them uncomfortable after too short a time. The membrane separating the drivers from my ears touched my ears and the cups seemed too small. Now you never know, but I have never been told I have big ears but these seemed smaller sized all around and not in s good way.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #18 of 31
I really am fond of the PM3 sound signature for a closed can. But be sure and try them on if you can, or if you can't, give yourself enough time to return them if need be. I got a pair in advance of a series of long flights and returned them because I found them uncomfortable after too short a time. The membrane separating the drivers from my ears touched my ears and the cups seemed too small. Now you never know, but I have never been told I have big ears but these seemed smaller sized all around and not in s good way.

As I understand, they dont have bass, so I decide to try Focal Elear first and bought it today

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #19 of 31
  note that when you read the reviews on such high end headset, the reviewers are most likely testing them out of a good source/amplification, so the results you will get on an iphone may WIDELY difer from what the reviews say. I'd suggest trying the headset on your iphone before buying anything.

If you have 1000 to spare, I'd split the buy in a dap like the FiiOX5-3 and the rest on any headset you'd like, you will get a much better listening experience overall in my opinion. To put it bluntly an iphone 7 source is a waste of good headphones.

Make some research and understand the,. so I bought Focal Elear and now choosing dap

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #20 of 31
I'm a newbie myself and by no means an expert, but at 26 ohms, the PM-3 should be easy enough to drive with the iphone. As far as the DAC, I'm not sure how improved, if at all, the DAC in the iphone 7 is compared to the 6. Depending on the answer to that question, you may want to try a seperate DAC with your phone and PM-3.

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #21 of 31
I'm a newbie myself and by no means an expert, but at 26 ohms, the PM-3 should be easy enough to drive with the iphone. As far as the DAC, I'm not sure how improved, if at all, the DAC in the iphone 7 is compared to the 6. Depending on the answer to that question, you may want to try a seperate DAC with your phone and PM-3.

That's not correct. There's more to driving than impedance and sensitivity. The PM3 is Planar technology and planars require a lot more power than dynamic. I hated the PM3's but they definitely sound better amped.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #23 of 31
That's not correct. There's more to driving than impedance and sensitivity. The PM3 is Planar technology and planars require a lot more power than dynamic. I hated the PM3's but they definitely sound better amped.

Like I said, I'm a newbie and know nothing. Lol!

No worries. If they were dynamic drivers you would have been spot on.

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #25 of 31
Are there any planar magnetics that couple drive without amp? (iPhone?)

If you want Planars to sound the way they're supposed to sound, but you don't want an external amp, your best bet would be to try the Blue Ella's because they have a built in amp with them.

Or if you're fine with in ears, you could look at the iSine 10 or iSine 20.

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #27 of 31
If you want Planars to sound the way they're supposed to sound, but you don't want an external amp, you're best bet would be to try the Blue Ella's because they have a built in amp with them.

Or if you're fine with in ears, you could look at the iSine 10 or iSine 20.

I checked out the blue very nice set. Anything comparable that would work direct with the iPhone 7 (lightning) 

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #28 of 31
I checked out the blue very nice set. Anything comparable that would work direct with the iPhone 7 (lightning) 

Not that I know of in terms of a full, circumaural headphone. But the iSines can be bought with the Audeze Cipher cable which has a lightning connector and an amp built right into the cable itself. So it will add no extra bulk for portable use.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #30 of 31
note that when you read the reviews on such high end headset, the reviewers are most likely testing them out of a good source/amplification, so the results you will get on an iphone may WIDELY difer from what the reviews say. I'd suggest trying the headset on your iphone before buying anything.

If you have 1000 to spare, I'd split the buy in a dap like the FiiOX5-3 and the rest on any headset you'd like, you will get a much better listening experience overall in my opinion. To put it bluntly an iphone 7 source is a waste of good headphones.

I own the PM-3 since a couple of days, and I can definitely recommend these.

But I agree with the advice given in the above quotation. If you spend that kind of money on a headphone, it doesn't make sense to play directly from an iPhone. I have the iPhone 7 and the PM-3, but use them in combination with the humble DragonFly Red DAC/amp. Certainly not the best DAC, but very small, thus extremely portable. And it is only $ 200. In my view a nice compromise if you want good sound but don't want to spend much on a DAC, and don't want to haul a big one. I have no scientific data to support this, but I'm pretty sure that a $400 PM-3 + $200 Dragonfly (or any comparable DAC) will sound better than a $600 headphone without DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back