Best headphones for iPhone (low impedance) - recommend me plz?
Mar 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:
Can the Audio Technica ATH-M50 be driven by the iPhone 4S without an external amp. Would they sound good?

Absolutely. The M50s are very easy to drive. An amp (particularly a cheap one) would probably not add to the SQ at all.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #17 of 23
Absolutely. The M50s are very easy to drive. An amp (particularly a cheap one) would probably not add to the SQ at all.

Thanks!

Just wanted to confirm because I remember reading that to be driven by the iPhone, the cans would need to be less than 35 ohm. M50 is rated as 38 ohms. You don't think that's a problem?

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #18 of 23

Thanks!

Just wanted to confirm because I remember reading that to be driven by the iPhone, the cans would need to be less than 35 ohm. M50 is rated as 38 ohms. You don't think that's a problem?

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:
You'll need hps under 35 ohm, to sound good.

Together the SPL and impedance will tell you if the iPhone can handle the headphones. If I remember correctly iPhone puts out around 1V.
For example Sony MDR v6 with 60 ohms and 105 SPL will sound louder than Beyer DT 880 32 ohms
Impedance alone says nothing.

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:
Together the SPL and impedance will tell you if the iPhone can handle the headphones. If I remember correctly iPhone puts out around 1V.
For example Sony MDR v6 with 60 ohms and 105 SPL will sound louder than Beyer DT 880 32 ohms
Impedance alone says nothing.

+1. Wasn't going by numbers, just that my experience+what I've heard on these forums tell me that an amp is unnecessary. You can use one if you like, though.

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #21 of 23
I am new to the site and forums and am enjoying it a lot! I have a 64GB Iphone 5 full with my most loved CDs. Most of them are Progressive Rock. I want the best possible portable headphone just to use with my Iphone. I don't mind having to buy an amp if that is necessary. I have a Sennheiser PX200-II. I am now wondering if the purchase of either the Sennheiser HD25-1 II or the Audio Technica M50s will give me a considerable improvement. Thanks so much in advance! Saulo (from Brazil).

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #22 of 23
I'd say the srh840 not might be too bad. Big yes, but foldable and certainly doable. 32 ohms of impedance make it fairly easy to drive. Very nice midrange especially. Generally fairly neutral...more or less. Good bang for the buck.

Um the MS300 is pretty great IMO for rock. Aggressive and a touch bright it takes some getting used to. But it just has this presence about it, I can quite explain it but goodness, its magic. It too has a low impedance. And its extremely small and portable, isolation isnt great. And i keep finding some kind of a spike in the upper mids/treble but that aside a great can.

If you really want to save go for the 8323. Its a bit darker. but ive found that dark side only really come out when amped. If you run it straight from an ipod it can actually sound a touch bass shy, with nice mildly sparkly highs. 

Good luck my friend

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Im not a huge fan of the m50 sq wise. It felt a bit to warm for me in comparison to the srh840. As well its build quality was just a bit sub par in my opinion. Granted i only had a brief session with it, but it didn't leave me impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back