Best headphones for iPhone 3G?
Jan 29, 2009 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MetalElvis

100+ Head-Fier
Really difficult, almost impossible to find good portable headphones. I always just find something annoying with every headphone I try. Let´s see...

-Apple´s default earphones: Terrible sound, keeps falling out of my ear, doesn´t block outside noises at all. Verdict = unusable.

-Sennheiser PX100: Not a very good sounding headphones. Terrible highs, muffled bass. Stays in the head, but wearing them in public, littlebit embarrasing. Doesn´t block outside noises at all. No mic "answer/close call, next/previous song, play/pause" button. Verdict = pretty much unsable too, but better than the Apple earphones.

-Etymotic Hf2: Sounds very good. I was really happy first when I got these, but then the reality hit me in the face. It is IMPOSSIBLE to walk or move with these IEMs. If the cable moves or scrubs inside/outside your shirt/jacket, even tiniest bit, it causes very loud noises inside your head. Even when you walk, you can hear your footsteps going THUM THUM THUM!!! So forget going for a run with these! Also not so comfortable inside the ears. Verdict = Sadly I paid lot of money for these, but I have to say it, UNUSABLE!
mad.gif
(Unless of course you are sitting perfectly still in airplane or a train).

So, I´m really going crazy now, that where could I find good headphones for my iPhone 3G. I´m hoping if people here has had similar experiences than mine and have found good headphones for the iPhone or iPod for that matter?

I could live with the PX100 if they had a good sound and a mic "answer/close call, next/previous song, play/pause" button.

I could live with the Etymotic, if they would be wireless and wouldn´t need to be recharged. But I guess I would be willing to compromise charging them, if there would be wireless version (and even stand hearing my footsteps going THUM THUM!). But they aren´t so maybe my wishes are too sci-fi.

So please, suggestions are welcome for good headphones with good sound and conviniency/usefulness?

Jan 29, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 19
Sleekaudio is convenient and also has wireless version.

Ah, I just recalled wireless Sennheiser MX-W1. Comfy, excellent SQ ... expensive as hell.

Jan 29, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 19
Thanks for the suggestions so far, now let´s see...

Quote:

Ah, I just recalled wireless Sennheiser MX-W1. Comfy, excellent SQ ... expensive as hell.

This PCMag review isn´t very encouraging of the MX-W1:
How to Buy the Right Headphones - Sennheiser MX W1 - At A Glance - Reviews by PC Magazine
-3 hour battery life, absolutely terrible!
-That transmitter looks awful and kludgy
-The price, no way. For this price I want top quality, not kludgyness.

Quote:

Check Etymotic.com, they have wireless version.

You mean the Ety8?
-Looks also like a kludge product
-No iPhone 3G support, only iPod

I need very fitting two wireless earphones like the Sennheiser MX-W1 (no wire going even the back of my neck like the Ety8 and Sleekaudio), but smaller. And the transmitter for the iPhone small as my pinky´s fingernail or smaller with 10-24 hour battery life. And great sound of course! Is there anything like this? Or maybe I´m just too Sci-Fi?

Or another option is: I need like Sennheiser PX100, but with "iPhone 3G mic, play/pause, answer/close call button", with GREAT sound and littlebit outside noise blockage, doesn´t have to bee full closed, littlebit is enough.

Jan 29, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 19
I just got some SE530s and the shure mic for iphone - might be a bit more than you want to spend, but I love it! The mic works great, awesome isolation, good comfort. Pause/play/answer/hangup works with the mic as well. Perfect solution IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #7 of 19
I thought you do not need an iPhone adapter. A2DP Bluetooth should work for Ety8.

And, yes, your requirements are sci-fi.

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 19
PX100 should absolutely have ZERO effect on isolation because its Open.. designed to Open. PX200 is its closed companion offers some form of isolation but not particularly spectacular either, SQ is worser than the PX100 according to alot of people, for me they just sound bad, it has an artificial ness to it, but its kinda bright, the bass is very tight thou but poorer clamping means it doesnt sound as good until you put it up close to your ears.

You can either use the shirt clip position properly should have zero microphonics... or u can try to loop the cable over your ear...

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 19
Check out the Phonak Audeo threads. THey make an iPhone version, too. I love this phone, and it costs much less than the SE530 and one Head-Fi'er (Headphoneaddict) prefers it to the SE530. Best of all, it's $150. No microphonics (I own the non-iPod version). And very, very comfortable. Again, check the threads.

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 19
I got now excited of these three models from Sennheiser, mainly because of the "Twist to Fit" system, the Volume Control and iPhone support:

MX 55 VC Street II
MX 65 VC Street II
MX 95 VC Style II

They all pretty much cost the same. But the MX 65 are about 10€ less, which I don´t understand. What are they lacking compared to those two other ones? I think the MX 95 are the newest, but they don´t have the "Basswind system for strong bass", they have "Special damping for detailed sound", whatever those mean.
ph34r.gif

So I guess the biggest question here is, which one of these sounds the best?

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought you do not need an iPhone adapter. A2DP Bluetooth should work for Ety8.

The iPhone doesn't support A2DP, that's the issue.

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #12 of 19
I second the Phonak Audeo PFE with microphone. I have it and love it as well. The mic and controls work perfectly.

You won't find a better earphone with controls for the iPhone 3G.

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #13 of 19
How much the Phonak PFE (with mic) are actually "closed"? Are they fully closed? Or half-closed?
I might not want fully closed phones, ´cause I´m now very scared about the cable noise and footstep noise when walking/running/moving around.

So how much cable noise comes with the Phonak PFE (with mic)?

I´m not actually asking for a lot. The requirements I want are:

-Stays nicely and comfortably in the ears
-Good sound (doesn´t have to be even amazing, if the phones are otherwise comfortably superb and has a "Mic Play/Pause button")
-"Mic Play/Pause/Answer call button" for iPhone 3G

And of course the cable noise is unacceptable! So I´m wary of the closed headphones.

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 19
There are absolutely no microphonics with the Phonaks, none. They are work over the ear, have a very thick cable. Not an issue. They are closed, I guess, but no matter, no cable noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back