Best headphones for hip hop
Oct 18, 2012 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hiphopjunkie

New Head-Fier
I've bought two other headphones the Beats for $300 and the Sennheiser RS 160. The beats were heavy and had too much bass and this is coming from someone who listens predominantly to hip hop/ rap. The RS 160 was great and i loved the wireless capability(even though I couldn't switch to wired to save battery juice) but overall the sound was balanced the mids were nice and the bass was deep but didn't distort. However I skateboard all over nyc with my headphones on and this leads to them getting dropped from time to time, which is how i broke the transponder on my RS 160. I'm looking to spend up to $200 does anyone have any recommendations?

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 7
If youre going to be skating, then you will want lightweight, yet strong headphones with good but not overpowering bass.. I recommend the V-Moda Crossfade LP's. I would have said get the M-80's ( on ear) but they would fall off while you were skating unlike the Crossfade LP's (over ear) they are extremely durable, great for hip hop and very light...and honestly they look badass. Here, check them out:

http://v-moda.com/over-ear/

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 7
Do you want over the ear or on the ear?  If on the ear is good, then the V-Moda M80 are great, I agree with the poster above.  If you want over the ear, go with the Audio Technica M50.  Both can be had for around 160 or less via Amazon.  The M50s are better than the Crossfade LP/LP2s in my opinion.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 7
The Focal Spirit ONE, Harmen Kardon CL, Sony ZX700, V-Moda M80 are well built and sound great without too muchbass.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Do you want over the ear or on the ear?  If on the ear is good, then the V-Moda M80 are great, I agree with the poster above.  If you want over the ear, go with the Audio Technica M50.  Both can be had for around 160 or less via Amazon.  The M50s are better than the Crossfade LP/LP2s in my opinion.

I agree with you regarding the sound signature, but the M50's have that clamping feeling after a while which gives me a major headache, do you agree?

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I agree with you regarding the sound signature, but the M50's have that clamping feeling after a while which gives me a major headache, do you agree?

I've got a fairly small head, so the clamping force has never bothered me but I know some who do complain of that (yourself clearly, lol).  The LP2s are fine, I have a pair, but I prefer the M50s if we're going for sound signature for hip hop.  The LP2s are just a bit too muddy for my tastes musically.  I use them to game with now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back