Best Headphones for HardRock / Metal around 500$ +-
Jan 31, 2013 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Flisker

500+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fiers,

I am looking for some good headphones particulary on Rock/Metal kind of music (Five Finger Death Punch,In Flames,Rammstein etc...)

Which one do you think are best and why ?

Btw I already own, Koss Porta Pro, CAL!, AKG K701, Sennheiser HD650. 

Thanks in advance 
size]

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:
Go and demo some of the Grado models

In my experience, Grados are pretty awesome for rockn'roll, but lack the bass "bite" for distortion guitars and bass guitar in metal. Personally, I like something with a heavier bottom end for the bass, cohesive mids and treble that is not super-pronounced to counteract listening fatigue.

I'd say the Hifiman HE-400 fits well...it has the speed for double bass, great mids and non-sibilant treble. Instruments can be heard clearly in separation for bands with denser arrangements. Only thing lacking is a big soundstage, but then again, I don't think that is a big requirement for most metal recordings.

OP, since you've mentioned Rammstein, I'd like to confirm that they sound amazing on the Hifimans. I'm a big fan too and they are one of the first bands I play to check how I would like a certain headphone.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 21
Hifiman HE-400.

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 21
Thank you guys for information, already got advice for HE-400 out of this thread and now also big support for them here so I guess I'll give them a shot :) 

+ They look amazing.

ps: I was thinking that for this kind of music I should choose closed headphones because of bass etc.

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 21
Try either the RS1, SR225i, or the SR325is and see if it fits your criteria. Personally, I prefer my SR225i over my HE-400 in rock, especially metal

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:
Thank you guys for information, already got advice for HE-400 out of this thread and now also big support for them here so I guess I'll give them a shot :) 

+ They look amazing.

ps: I was thinking that for this kind of music I should choose closed headphones because of bass etc.

Heya,

Definitely HE400 is worth a shot.

Otherwise, look into Beyer DT880 and Grado RS1.

Very best,

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
Try either the RS1, SR225i, or the SR325is and see if it fits your criteria. Personally, I prefer my SR225i over my HE-400 in rock, especially metal

My "problem" is that only way to try is to buy it off ebay or something. Here in Czech Rrepublic it's pretty hard to find something and try it. I went to audio shop in "my district town" few weeks ago asked the guy if they have any headphone amps and he told me that I am first one asking about headphone amps :D

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Heya,

Definitely HE400 is worth a shot.

Otherwise, look into Beyer DT880 and Grado RS1.

Very best,

Great, thank you MalVeauX and all of you guys :wink: Found HE400 on ebay for 400$ which is acceptable , RS1 is 700$ +- which is little too much.

So I guess I'll buy them 
size]

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
My "problem" is that only way to try is to buy it off ebay or something. Here in Czech Rrepublic it's pretty hard to find something and try it. I went to audio shop in "my district town" few weeks ago asked the guy if they have any headphone amps and he told me that I am first one asking about headphone amps :D

Fair enough. TBH, either way will be a good one. If you go the Grado route, you might not like them because Grados are known to be notoriously user specific due to comfort complaints and sensitive ears to treble. I have both the HE-400 and SR225i (soon getting the RS1i to complete my Grado journey) and both are superb in their own ways. The HE-400 is very universal with music. The Grado likes rock, jazz, and some other fast paced genres. Grado seems to fall behind in classical, rap, electro, and some pop.

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 21
So HE-400 is on the way :) 416$ including shipping. When I look at that ebay page it looks like they are selling milk or something -> HIFIMAN HE-400 "More than 10 available / 38 sold
size]

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 21
You won't be disappointed. I find rock to go really well with the HE-400. Drums sound awesome, separation is excellent (so long as the recording isn't compressed too much), and treble has just enough sparkle.

The Fiio E11 should sound decent enough if that's what you're gonna use, but you may want to look into upgrading that in the future.

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

OK-I have to bite....as a metal and rock fan, who also likes other kinds of music AND who has a R225i as his only set of cans, and really likes them.... what do you like the HE-400 for?

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
You won't be disappointed. I find rock to go really well with the HE-400. Drums sound awesome, separation is excellent (so long as the recording isn't compressed too much), and treble has just enough sparkle.

The Fiio E11 should sound decent enough if that's what you're gonna use, but you may want to look into upgrading that in the future.

Yep I'll use Fiio E11 for start and than I would like to get something better but ... again it's even worse story here in cz than with headphones itself .. I mean take cans and go somewhere plug them into 10 amps and choose the one u want would be heaven,unfortunately that's impossible here :frowning2: Maybe somewhere in Prague which is quite far from me, but even there they usually have only 1-2 brands.

So I'll have to do some research and take a shot in some recommended amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back