Best headphones for Gaming/Music for around $160
Apr 9, 2012 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Omnom

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys

I've been looking for a while and still have not come to a conclusion. There are so many to pick from. Anyway my music generes are dubstep, pop, and rock, mainly bass heavy stuff, as I do love my bass. I will be wearing these in public so I do wish for them to be slightly stylish.
So far I've found these:
ATH M50 - apparently really bad for gaming/decent for music
Beyer DT 770 Pro 80 - great for both but apparently slightly bulky in look
Ultrasone Pro 550 - great for both but apparently can become uncomfortable after a while
Creative Aurvana Live - don't know much about as it was recommended.

Any others? Could I do better for the prices?
Sennheiser? Bose?

I won't be using an amp yet but I will look into one, something cheap which sounds like the FiiO E6. I will eventually be getting a mod mic or a clip on one but we'll see how i get on.

Basically I want great sound quality, good bass, good comfort, and stylish (doesn't have to be to stylish though e.g. beats).
Thanks heaps guys!

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 16
Ultrasone HFI-580 or DJ1 (Non-pro version), weakest link will be comfort (quite average, slightly below average) but rest is a perfect fit for your needs.

M-Audio Q40 possibly but may be too bulky, soundwise for those genres I'd recommend it above HFI-580 but styling/design wise the Ultrasones would be more fit for public use.

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 16
Apparently the ATH M-50s are terrible for gaming no better than my Philips SHP 2000 I have now. They do look the best but what's the point in buying it if it's only good for the one purpose.

Any other recommendations?

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #5 of 16
Of the ones that you mention, I would suggest the Beyer's. They are quality top to bottom with build quality and sound.

good luck!!

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #6 of 16
The creatives are bassiest headphones I have. I found them uncomfortable and the sound too congested but they look good and have good detail.

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 16
I will be using these outside as I have stated, the M Audio Q40's look decent as well.
Anymore suggestions?
Bose AE2?

Can't find any sellers for a DT 770 Pro 80 anyone interested in selling and shipping to New Zealand?
Thanks

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Hey guys

I've been looking for a while and still have not come to a conclusion. There are so many to pick from. Anyway my music generes are dubstep, pop, and rock, mainly bass heavy stuff, as I do love my bass. I will be wearing these in public so I do wish for them to be slightly stylish.
So far I've found these:
ATH M50 - apparently really bad for gaming/decent for music
Beyer DT 770 Pro 80 - great for both but apparently slightly bulky in look
Ultrasone Pro 550 - great for both but apparently can become uncomfortable after a while
Creative Aurvana Live - don't know much about as it was recommended.

Any others? Could I do better for the prices?
Sennheiser? Bose?

I won't be using an amp yet but I will look into one, something cheap which sounds like the FiiO E6. I will eventually be getting a mod mic or a clip on one but we'll see how i get on.

Basically I want great sound quality, good bass, good comfort, and stylish (doesn't have to be to stylish though e.g. beats).
Thanks heaps guys!

I'm thinking Shure SRH750 DJ or M-Audio Q40 or Ultrasone HFI 580. I prefer the DT770 over all of them, but they're bulky and don't fold or anything so are less portable.

Very best,

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 16
Wouldn't suggest stuff I didnt try, but an amp is very benefitial for the Dt770

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 16
ok well im back looking at the HFI 580 it apparently sounds good but is vgery very uncomfortable. Is that true? anyway around that?
Thanks

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
ok well im back looking at the HFI 580 it apparently sounds good but is vgery very uncomfortable. Is that true? anyway around that?
Thanks

For my 780's, I stretched them over a box for a night and that helped lessen the clamping power. Recently, I replaced the headband cushion with some cheap 1/2in foam that is much softer and conforms to your head better. I picked up the foam at homedepot for cheap. Comfort now is very good. I left the pleather ear pads as I have longer hair and they don't stick and bother me when it gets hot. Otherwise, there are some velor beyerdynamic pads out there that you swap them with.

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 16
Are they worth it though?
I mean would getting these headphones be worth it as they apparently do have good sound quality.
Are the 580's good for gaming?

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Are they worth it though?
I mean would getting these headphones be worth it as they apparently do have good sound quality.
Are the 580's good for gaming?

I would say so yes. They have good sound stage and have good bass that will probably surprise you when you take your first listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back