Best headphones for film scores/movies? Sub-bass/LFE, not recessed bass or mids. Suggestions?
Oct 2, 2020 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Nobank

New Head-Fier
Need help picking the right headphones for movies and film scores! :L3000:

I think I would like the sound to be how the filmmaker intended it to be, with a slightly boosted, deep bass (sub-bass/LFE?). I also dont want the headphones to be very sibilant.

Budget is anything under 900$. This includes a DAC/AMP if the headphones need it.
Any suggestions? Closed-back or open-back?

I currently use the HyperX Cloud 2 (60 ohm). I think they have a V-shaped frequency response, so I use Dolby Access, set on movies and with the pre defined warm EQ by Dolby. This adds to the "immersiveness" by lowering the kind of already high treble (maybe I'm mistaken in them being high treble)? And also increasing the sub frequencies, adding to the rumbling effect; which is nice, but can on some rare occasions drown out some of the mids on these headphones (still worth it :D), the bass is also quite punchy. The lowered treble after Dolby EQ, allows me to up the volume further without them being sibilant. The higher volume adds to the immersiveness and the overall movie experience.
I am quiet happy with this setup, but I've had them since release, and i think its time to upgrade, if i find the right headphones.

I've never tried open-back headphones, but I've read that they usually struggle with the sub-bass, and that you lose the feeling of sound coming from inside your head (don't know how to explain it). Although, I am open for suggestions. The sound leakage is not a problem for me.

I want to use the headphones strictly for watching movies and listening to movie scores (Hans Zimmer, Ramin Djawadi type of composers).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 3
For sub-bass emphasis, closed-back dynamics are best.
The bigger the better... the more ridiculous they look on your head, the more likely they will have a bigger soundstage :)

Beyerdynamic DT1770 - mostly sub-bass emphasis.
Meze 99 Classic - also mid-bass emphasis and not as big soundstage as DT1770.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back