Best headphones for EDM
Dec 18, 2013 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HYoussef

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
This is my first post and I'm not by any means an audiophile.
I'm on the search for a pair of headphones in the 40 to 70 USD
I listen mainly to EDM ... The likes of daft punk, justice, deadmau5 and Wolfgang gartner..etc

I care mainly for the headphones to have a clear sound and have a "punchy" base with acceptable comfort

Currently I'm considering one of AkG k240, Sony MDR v55, the grados s60i and the Sony v6

What do you guys advice me?

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 14
I have repeatedly seen the Ultrasone PRO 900 recommended here as a great EDM headphone.

In your price range the Steel Series 51100 Siberia is known for bass as is the Takstar Pro80.

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 14
The ultrasones seem like why I need exactly but the budget is way off...
Can't find may reviews on the Trackstar and this scares me a bit
Any feedback on the models I mentioned in the original post ?

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 14
I only have experience with the Grados from that list and I would not recommend them for EDM. Great entry headphones, but you will not have any bass response at all. 

I do own the Pro 900s and just received a pair of Hisound Wooduo 2s. It looked like all your choices were over/on ear, but if you want to go into IEM, the Wooduo have been extremely impressive. Honestly, I like them more than the 900s for many songs. Plus, they are crazy easy to drive from a phone or mobile player. They are about $75 new 

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 14
I can only talk about the grado sr60i's as far as which of those headphones I've demoed. I enjoyed daft punk on them a lot actually (both older and newest stuff) they're worth a demo, but music that has a focus mostly on deep bass or bass emphasis may underperform. Also I don't recommend their use in public areas where a noise complaint is potential. They're open back so anything you're hearing is likely to be heard by people within 10 feet. Grado comfort is hit or miss, I wear my SR-325i for hours with no complaint, but have been forced to stop wearing them in the past. They don't isolate at all either -- just a few things to take into account.

P.S. I strongly recommend demoing grado's before buying a pair, their sound signature is unique so they are not for everyone.
Wish I could have helped more on the other pairs, maybe someone with experience with them will give you 2 cents.

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 14
  I only have experience with the Grados from that list and I would not recommend them for EDM. Great entry headphones, but you will not have any bass response at all. 

I do own the Pro 900s and just received a pair of Hisound Wooduo 2s. It looked like all your choices were over/on ear, but if you want to go into IEM, the Wooduo have been extremely impressive. Honestly, I like them more than the 900s for many songs. Plus, they are crazy easy to drive from a phone or mobile player. They are about $75 new 

Afinch...Noticed you had the Q40's as well.  How are they?  Been thinking of getting these as my 'basshead' cans but aren't really sure I'd gain much over the 770s.

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 14

Are you refering mostly to the sub-bass and bass extension? While I agree they are not designed for for EDM specifically (definitely rock headphones) they perform well with artists like Daft Punk which use punchy bass and not necessarily deep bass-- looking at the example artists the op mentioned I wouldn't say grados are out of the question.

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 14

Afinch...Noticed you had the Q40's as well.  How are they?  Been thinking of getting these as my 'basshead' cans but aren't really sure I'd gain much over the 770s.

I would definitely say give the q40s a shot. Just behind the wooduo 2s I would put the q40s for sheer bass power. I never took a liking to the 770s though, so YMMV

also, I added 770 earpads to the g40s. made a huge difference! look pretty nice to boot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 14

Are you refering mostly to the sub-bass and bass extension? While I agree they are not designed for for EDM specifically (definitely rock headphones) they perform well with artists like Daft Punk which use punchy bass and not necessarily deep bass-- looking at the example artists the op mentioned I wouldn't say grados are out of the question.

Given the price range, I don't believe the s60s would provide anything worth merit compared to the other options. S325s would probably be great, but that's not why were here.

I would say the Wooduo exceed in sub bass and was only lacking in mid bass from my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #14 of 14
  I'm now considering refurbished V-moda's Crossfader M100. They're 225 USD on Amazon. You guys think that's a good investment?

If youre willing to jump up there, you can grab the pro 900s. I dont think you could go wrong though

keep an eye out on the for sale forum. Might be able to pick up the 100s cheaper if you go that route

Users who are viewing this thread

Back