Best Headphones for Doom Metal
Nov 19, 2019 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

necrozen

New Head-Fier
I love Doom Metal. I listen to it every day. I'm looking for a pair of audiophile headphones that are the best for listening to Doom. Money is not a concern, they could cost $60 or $6000. I'll get them. They just have to be the best cans for Doom. It doesn't matter how they handle other music as I have dedicated headphones for everything else.

So what do you recommend? Thanks for your time.

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 4
What is it about the cans you have now (which ones would be helpful to know) that doesn’t work with this genre of metal for you. What bands are your favorites as I don’t know much about Doom metal but listen to just about anything and have quite a few different headphones.

Nov 22, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 4
What is it about the cans you have now (which ones would be helpful to know) that doesn’t work with this genre of metal for you. What bands are your favorites as I don’t know much about Doom metal but listen to just about anything and have quite a few different headphones.

I have the Fostex th900 mkii and the focal clears. I don't think they are warm enough or have that ear tickling bass punch (exaggerated bass) that I want for doom metal. I'm thinking I need to look toward planar magnetic, but I'm not sure which ones. Some Doom bands I listen to are: Bongripper, Sleep, Electric Wizard, Windhand, and Conan to name a few.

Thanks for your interest in helping me. :)

Nov 22, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 4
For warm planar, Audeze leaps to mind. Whether the bass would be punchy enough for you is hard to say, but one of the nice things about planars is they generally respond well to EQ, so you can bump up the bass if needed. Just need to make sure you've got an amp with sufficient power. I don't have a specific recommendation for Audeze cans (I just have the iSine 20 IEM), but I know one additional factor to consider is weight, some of them are notoriously heavy.

(My personal recommendation from experience for a great warm planar with great bass would be the Modhouse Argon, which is a wonderful headphone, but I doubt it competes with TOTL options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back