BEST HEADPHONES FOR CLASSICAL/OPERA
Nov 6, 2008 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

trungdvan

New Head-Fier
I've been reading alot in threads here on head-fi and I haven't really found any real answer for myself. I am looking for headphones in more of the upper price range. I was look at the GS-1000's because i read people says they are great for the classical purpose since that will be my main rotation as i'm a pianist. I read alot about Stax OII's and wonder if they are that great for classical? I could be willing to fork out that much but i wonder if the difference in price would justify the price difference? I also read about K1000,HD-600,D5000. Again, I'm just mainly listening to classical/opera. Thank You all.

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 15
I listen to classical about 75% of the time and use the Sennheiser hd 650's. I'm quite happy with them and their "speaker-like" presentation. Be prepared to have decent amplication for the best results.

- augustwest

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 15
Stax are really great for classical as are the K1000.

Goto the Stax thread in the High end forum and those guys can point you in the right direction. I personally <3 my SR-lambda's with classical and acoustic. The GS1000 is a good all-around headphone, but IMO not the best classical cans out there.

The greatest classical experiences I have had are with the HeAudio Jade Prototype and the Baby O's (with the K1000 not being far behind).

Take a good hard look at the HeAudio Jade. Immntbiker might be able to offer some advice with regards to that headphone.

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 15
"This headphone is an ideal choice for the professional recording engineer recording classical music." - Sennheiser on the HD 580 Precision

I'd have to agree with their description, I <333 my HD 580's for classical (haven't really ever gotten into opera though, so can't quite comment), and I know the 600's and 650's are supposed to be "better" (I would say "different" in reality)

as far as electrostats go, no idea tbh, however from everything I've heard, I'd either look at the HD 580/600/650 (maybe the HD 595 while you're at it), or follow germania's advice

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 15
For classical, I enjoyed the DT880's Pro more than the HD600's or the HD650's. The former had too narrow soundstage, the latter were too colored and neither Sennheiser had sufficient separation and clarity for me.
Regarding opera - the GS1000's will be the best, period. I have very limited experience with the electrostats but the only Stax earspeakers I care for are SR-404's and SR-007's. SR-007's MkII had to heavy and bloated bass for me - tried with top tier Stax amps SRM-007t II and SRM-727II. Coming back to the GS1000's - they have the best vocal cords reproduction I've heard in dynamic headphones, very accurate midrange makes this happen, so you'll enjoy voices in full. I listened to the K1000's and these might be a opera contender as well. For classical, I'd appreciate something with more pronounced bottom end.

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 15
Here I would strongly suggest Headphile (mainly because Larry did an excellent job on mine) modded AKG k340. They give you the proper perspective from the Symphony Orchestra, and massed strings will not become hashed. Ditto for Opera - you will hear singing in a large house. The orig. k340 + modding should come to around $600. But, you WILL need a very good amp. You might look at a Woo2, or perhaps a McAlister such as Philodox owns - the k340 need a lot of juice.

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 15
For opera in my exprerience the best headphone I have heard (given you have well recorded music) is the HE60, if that is out of you're budget the K1000, once again if that's out of your budget look at the HD600's which I currently have a pair for sale (I know a shameless plug, but I would recomment it regardless).
tongue.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #9 of 15
If it's really only classical, the Stax 303/404/4070 will be a good choice.
In the dynamic range, I found the DT880 and HD650 a bit slow for Schostokowic or so, the K701 does much better there.

Nov 6, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #11 of 15
You might also want to consider the Victor HP-DX1000. They have incredible low octave reproduction. I was just listening to Von Williams symphony no. 6 and it's simply incredible. The sound staging is second to none on these headphones.

Having said that, I'm also a great fan of the GS1000. Nothing I have ever heard is as musically engaging as Grados and the GS1000 really get it right! I'm listening to Scarlatti's harpsichord works right now and I can barely stand to listen to this on any other headphone because the treble is too shrill, but on the Grados the balance is just right.

I also own the Senn HD650 and although it provides a very accurate reproduction it sounds a bit too laid back for me- it's just not as emotionally involving. If I were mastering a recording I might choose the HD650's because I could stay focused on my work, while I'd choose the GS1000 to become completely drawn into and moved by what I was listening to.

The first time I listened to the GS1000 I was listening in order to evaluate them in relation to the RS1s and the HD650s and after several minutes I realized I had completely stopped thinking about the music and was tapping my foot and enjoying it. You'll hear a lot of people make that same statement about Grados but especially about the GS1000. At the very least I would give these an audition.

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #12 of 15
You can't go wrong with an AKG K1000, a Stax SR-007(BL) or a Stax 4070 for classical/opera. In my opinion that is.
Excellent vocal presentation, sound depth/width, details, punch and more.

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 15
I did a double post because i was inquiring about the Stax products which is classified as high-end products. I also was interested in the lower costing products gs-1000 k1000 so i thought I'd get a nice response about Stax in the high-end section and lower-end heaphones in the other section. Thanks

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #14 of 15
Have to agree with the AKG K501 for opera. Outstanding soundstage with a sweet midrange and good treble. Enough bass to satisfy. The DT880s would be my second choice here for their sparkling treble and more satisfying bass.

Although I also like the K501s for classical, I'm as likely to listen to JVC DX-1000. The presentation of the DX1000 is on the warm side, but their musicality cannot be denied. I occasionally use the DT880s but not often.

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 15
Ergo 2 by Precide SA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back