Best headphones for classical music
May 7, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #91 of 148
Have anyone here tried Boost 3D with classics? I am trying it out playing Vivalid with boasted treble because my Denon AH-D7200 are somewhat recessed in its treble region.
I just tried with my HD800 and the sound stage gets very weird, so does the imaging. I guess Boost 3D is more designed for pop/rock music where precise imaging is not as important. In general, I prefer not to use EQ of any kind

May 7, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #93 of 148
I just tried with my HD800 and the sound stage gets very weird, so does the imaging. I guess Boost 3D is more designed for pop/rock music where precise imaging is not as important. In general, I prefer not to use EQ of any kind
sorr,,, should be Boom 3D...yep, got it, what you say make sense. I am basically trying to find something out there where I may tweak frequency levels in order to compensate for some shortcomings in cheap headphones (headphones not very suitable for classics) with respect to classic music reproduction.

May 7, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #94 of 148
I have the AKG 702. These were the first good headphones I bought. After lots of break-in time, the bass improved, but I have never found them ideal for listening to classical music. At this point I use them to watch TV when others in the home are sleeping; I find them very comfortable.

The HD-600 is not as expensive as some of the headphones that others have recommended here. Watch videos of classical recording sessions and you will often see the producer and engineer wearing them; I consider that an endorsement.

May 7, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #95 of 148
What is "the right amp" for AKG K701 (which is basically the same as the K702 I own except for color and not having a detachable connector)? I haven't been happy with the K702 for classical music with any of the amps I've tried (HeadRoom mini-amp, since sold; Burson HA-160; Marantz HD-DAC1; the headphone jack on my AVR; Marantz CD-5004 player). Its strengths are relatively good soundstage and good highs. The weakness is a lack of low bass and an odd-sounding midrange--I don't have a better word for the midrange. It just doesn't sound natural.

May 7, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #96 of 148
What is "the right amp" for AKG K701 (which is basically the same as the K702 I own except for color and not having a detachable connector)? I haven't been happy with the K702 for classical music with any of the amps I've tried (HeadRoom mini-amp, since sold; Burson HA-160; Marantz HD-DAC1; the headphone jack on my AVR; Marantz CD-5004 player). Its strengths are relatively good soundstage and good highs. The weakness is a lack of low bass and an odd-sounding midrange--I don't have a better word for the midrange. It just doesn't sound natural.
never owned 701/702. but from what you said, tube amps might be a solution?

May 9, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #99 of 148
Grab a pair of Beyer T1 or T5p gen2 and you'll be satisfied for Jazz or Classical. These are endgame for that music in most contexts.

Perfect amount of bass and treble. Not too bright and not muddy at all. Exceptional soundstage depth and reasonably good width

May 9, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #100 of 148
Grab a pair of Beyer T1 or T5p gen2 and you'll be satisfied for Jazz or Classical. These are endgame for that music in most contexts.

Perfect amount of bass and treble. Not too bright and not muddy at all. Exceptional soundstage depth and reasonably good width
I have AH-D7200 and got a pair of Sundaras as a compromise for now, but will certainly try to get T5p +gen or HD800S when I get enough cash for a purchase. Do you happen to have an amp in mind that plays nicely with T5p?

May 9, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #101 of 148
STAX 009 by far.

For a fraction of the price the HD800 is a bargain and gets about 80% there.

May 9, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #102 of 148
I made a somewhat facetious post earlier on in this thread. Mostly because it is impossible to assign a tag like ‘best’ to anything that involves tastebuds.
Now while the above is and should be the final word on this, because..well if you dig your Bach or Rachmaninov over your Ultrasone Pro 900 who are anyone to tell you differently?..-there are still a vast portion of older classical recordings that either are missing treble or less than stellarly captured on tape to begin with. That is why I feel a lot of classical fans tend to go for the HD800 and generally brightly tuned headphones.
Then again..if you’re into modern avantguarde or something other which tends to be well-recorded - you may just find the more even frequency response of an HD600/650 sweeter on the ears and the recording:)
I personally think the new(ish) Focal openbacks would serve classical music beautifully. To me they operate in between the tunings of the 600 and the 800 but with better bass extension and furthermore feels so much more open (Focal makes the most open headphones on the market outside of the SR1a)..but again this all depends entirely on what the individual goes for sonically.

May 9, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #103 of 148
I made a somewhat facetious post earlier on in this thread. Mostly because it is impossible to assign a tag like ‘best’ to anything that involves tastebuds.
Now while the above is and should be the final word on this, because..well if you dig your Bach or Rachmaninov over your Ultrasone Pro 900 who are anyone to tell you differently?..-there are still a vast portion of older classical recordings that either are missing treble or less than stellarly captured on tape to begin with. That is why I feel a lot of classical fans tend to go for the HD800 and generally brightly tuned headphones.
Then again..if you’re into modern avantguarde or something other which tends to be well-recorded - you may just find the more even frequency response of an HD600/650 sweeter on the ears and the recording:)
I personally think the new(ish) Focal openbacks would serve classical music beautifully. To me they operate in between the tunings of the 600 and the 800 but with better bass extension and furthermore feels so much more open (Focal makes the most open headphones on the market outside of the SR1a)..but again this all depends entirely on what the individual goes for sonically.
I find the clears very nice with classical.

May 9, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #104 of 148
There are still a vast portion of older classical recordings that either are missing treble or less than stellarly captured on tape to begin with. That is why I feel a lot of classical fans tend to go for the HD800 and generally brightly tuned headphones.

Maybe, but not all of us. In the last few days, I've listened to some very old recordings with the Clears, and I thoroughly enjoyed what I heard. Brightness would have made these recordings shrill. Some examples of those old recordings: Toscanini/NBC in Beethoven symphonies and Verdi Otello, Rubinstein's EMI Chopin recordings from the 1930s, and a terrific 1942 performance from the Met of Don Giovanni conducted by Bruno Walter. And I've also enjoyed some wonderful playbacks of 2-channel DSD64 tracks and some downloaded DSD128 tracks. All of it sounds great, given the state of recording technology of their times. My birghter-sounding headphones (Hifiman HE-400i) get no air time with classical music.

May 9, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #105 of 148
I have AH-D7200 and got a pair of Sundaras as a compromise for now, but will certainly try to get T5p +gen or HD800S when I get enough cash for a purchase. Do you happen to have an amp in mind that plays nicely with T5p?
I would recommend Violectric V200 for T5p gen 2, they sound very nice with this amp and most of the other headphones do. And used one you could get for a good price. If you had a stretched budget you can go for smaller brother Lake People G109, also sounds great with them. Or if you can stretch go straight for Violectric V280 or V281, that is more-less endgame :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back