Best headphones for Classical music?
Nov 29, 2013 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

Groznyjgrad

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking for a pair of headphones to use with primarily classical music. The biggest thing I'm looking for is DETAIL. I want to be able to hear the bow sliding across the cello strings. I prefer a more neutral presentation with an airy top end, but I'm not too set on bass heaviness/lightness one way or another. I'm also looking for open headphones, isolation isn't a big deal and I prefer a large soundstage. I'm looking at the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro; it seems highly regarded, and I like the looks of it. How does the 250ohm Pro compare with the Premium models? At twice the price, I would assume there's a difference. Budget's about $200, by the way. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 72
Then of course you want the DT880 Pro. It's everything you just described except $200. You'll have to stretch a bit.

Oh, and there's no appreciable difference between Premium and Pro. Different headband, different cable, same headphone.

Gee, I wish all problems were this easily solved.
tongue.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #3 of 72
Q701 would fit your bill very well I think.

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 72
  Hey guys, I'm looking for a pair of headphones to use with primarily classical music. The biggest thing I'm looking for is DETAIL. I want to be able to hear the bow sliding across the cello strings. I prefer a more neutral presentation with an airy top end, but I'm not too set on bass heaviness/lightness one way or another. I'm also looking for open headphones, isolation isn't a big deal and I prefer a large sound stage. I'm looking at the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro; it seems highly regarded, and I like the looks of it. How does the 250ohm Pro compare with the Premium models? At twice the price, I would assume there's a difference. Budget's about $200, by the way. 

What sources are you going to plug the headphones into?

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 72
  Then of course you want the DT880 Pro. It's everything you just described except $200. You'll have to stretch a bit.

Oh, and there's no appreciable difference between Premium and Pro. Different headband, different cable, same headphone.

tongue.gif

What's the difference between the DT990 pro and the DT880 pro? If the difference isn't huge, I might go with the 990 Pro and save $100...

I'll be plugging this into a Magni/Modi

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #8 of 72
  What's the difference between the DT990 pro and the DT880 pro? If the difference isn't huge, I might go with the 990 Pro and save $100...

The DT990s are full bass and full treble, which slightly over shadows the mids, but the mids are clear.
The DT990s can be used for any kind of audio, great for watch Blu-ray action movies.

Check out the AKG K612 Pro headphones, everything I read on them seem positive.
They maybe a better choice for music headphones, there is a used pair on eBay for $150.

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 72
Hey guys, I'm looking for a pair of headphones to use with primarily classical music. The biggest thing I'm looking for is DETAIL. I want to be able to hear the bow sliding across the cello strings. I prefer a more neutral presentation with an airy top end, but I'm not too set on bass heaviness/lightness one way or another. I'm also looking for open headphones, isolation isn't a big deal and I prefer a large soundstage. I'm looking at the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro; it seems highly regarded, and I like the looks of it. How does the 250ohm Pro compare with the Premium models? At twice the price, I would assume there's a difference. Budget's about $200, by the way. 

Shure SRH940 is now ca. 250 $ at Amazon.
And another vote for Sennheiser HD598.

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #11 of 72

tongue.gif

If your priority with classical is neutrality, and it should be, you want the DT880. The 990 by comparison has ramped up bass and treble--fine for certain genres (rap, hip-hop anyone?) but wrong for classical. It might make certain recordings sound better but any aberration will do that. It's the result over a wide range of recordings that's important for long term satisfaction.

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #13 of 72

If your priority with classical is neutrality, and it should be, you want the DT880. The 990 by comparison has ramped up bass and treble--fine for certain genres (rap, hip-hop anyone?) but wrong for classical. It might make certain recordings sound better but any aberration will do that. It's the result over a wide range of recordings that's important for long term satisfaction.

Okay, I'll pick up the 880's if I go with Beyer.

Does anyone have any info on the ZMF T50rp Version 1? I've heard that they're relatively neutral, and they seem to be very popular. The consensus from the reviews I've read is that it's a more treble-heavy match for the HD650, which sounds about perfect as I'm not a huge fan of the 650's "veil". I know the stock T50rp is more suited to Rock, but the reviewer said it holds up well with classical.

Besides, it's an Ortho (and I've always wanted one).

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #14 of 72
Actually, I would go for a used Stax with an energizer, if you have an amplifier at home anyway. You may have to shell out a bit more than 200, but detail, speed and natural sounding soundprind in spades. Simply, the best option, according to my experience, for classical music. Not even the mighty HD800 comes close to an old stax in fidelity of timbre, details and speed (microdynamism). 

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #15 of 72
For everything you want in OP at around that price, I recommend K70x.

Pros: It has detail, openness, (too extreme?) soundstage.
Cons: bass-light but you don't care, can sometimes sound bright but so do most of the others mentioned.

According to Headroom's measurements, K702 has a little more bass and treble than K701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back