Best headphones for Classical $500 price range?
Apr 11, 2011 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

StringBoi

100+ Head-Fier
Been a few months now, and I'm ready to upgrade from my 555's.  I was thinking to move to 650's, but someone else suggested the 600's or k701's.   Would either of these be a noticeable difference over my 555's....and can anyone suggest maybe some other higher end cans up to about $500?

Also, thought I'd lay this down here because I'm not getting much help in the comp/audio section:

I'm getting ready to replace my aging Logitech Z-680's with something a bit nicer. I dont use the 5.1 feature of the logitech and would rather a really nice 2.0/2.1 system.

I came across the BX5's but have read lots of complaints about quality.  Something about speakers failing after a while.  The Audioengine 5's look really appealing to me.  I also read some reviews about Swan's as well...and if I was going to spend over $300 on Audioengines...the Swan M200MkIII's looked really nice.

Any thoughts about this price range (around $400), wattage and quality of all 3 of these makers? 

I was also confused about my setup.....If I went with the M-Audios BX5a Deluxe, coming from my PC sound card....how exactly do you hook a sub up to that system?  The sound card has 1/8" outputs for Analog, and a Optical....from the looks of the M-Audio, I'd have to get a 1/8th to XLR or TRS for F/R correct?  Would I just use a 1/8th to RCA to my powered sub from the sound card? 

Do they even make that or would I have to add another adapter....and would this degrade the quality?  I have a Harman/Kardan powered sub from a HT system...I'm assuming I could just use this right?

I mainly listen to classical (mostly solo string works, orchestral, chamber), but I also love Trance, Dance, Pop.....sounds like the BX5a's might be the better choice with more versatility?  I do like the deep bass from the lower orchestral sections and Trance etc...and would like to feel it from a sub if not having one wouldnt be enough.

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 9
And would there be a noticeable difference coming from 555's or would this be considered only a slight upgrade?  I know the price difference is about 4x more, but price doesnt mean everything.....for the small amount I paid for the 555's, they sound incredible. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 9
The HD-600 is an easy recommendation. Wonderful for classical and anything else you throw at them.

You might also want to find a used K-501. Even better than the HD-600 for classical, though not an all-around headphone.

And for $500, you could get both. That's what I'd do. :D

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 9
That sounds good...I'm pretty sold on the 600's.   Wish they looked better though...not a big fan of the marble/speckle paint job
confused_face.gif

Anyone have some suggestions about my desktop speaker dilemma posted above?

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 9
LOL, that is very true....its not that big of a deal. I know I'll grow to love them =)

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 9
LOL, that is very true....its not that big of a deal. I know I'll grow to love them =)

@Winma I see you have the K701's...and are a fan of classical.  What do you think of them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back