Best headphones for Bach organ
Mar 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ddoyle777

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 11, 2008
Posts
118
Likes
33
I realize that this a narrow genre to choose headphones on, but it is where I have the most trouble. I have the HD800s, and they just don't have the low end power to satisfy me when I listen to a good organ recording like Anthony Newman on Newport Classics. I figure if I could get this correct, the rest will solve itself.

I have the LCD-2s sitting on my desk, and while I do like them, they are too uncomfortable for me.

I use ALAC out of my MacBook Pro to Schiit Bifrost and Lyr which I am happy with.

I'm a bit enamored with the Fostex TH900s. How would they work? Any others I should consider?

Thanks
 
Mar 10, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 8

Cante Ista

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 15, 2012
Posts
852
Likes
20
Quote:
I realize that this a narrow genre to choose headphones on, but it is where I have the most trouble. I have the HD800s, and they just don't have the low end power to satisfy me when I listen to a good organ recording like Anthony Newman on Newport Classics. I figure if I could get this correct, the rest will solve itself.

I have the LCD-2s sitting on my desk, and while I do like them, they are too uncomfortable for me.

I use ALAC out of my MacBook Pro to Schiit Bifrost and Lyr which I am happy with.

I'm a bit enamored with the Fostex TH900s. How would they work? Any others I should consider?

Thanks

HE6. For me that is without a doubt. I love its bass.  it more detailed than the Audezee bass, when driven properly, so the sonic nuances are communicated better. With HE6 though you are most likely also looking at a totally new amp. I am running my he6 off F3 speaker amp and they sound sooo much better than running from HP amp. Bass is tight and highs are extended but not strident; mids are full. Detailwise they are like HD800 but with far superior bass impact. They may also feel uncomfortable for you if you find the LCD not a good fit. I have not heard the TH900 but I have read it is not as good as the LCD in some respects. I underscore that this is 2nd hand info, and I am also interested in impressions from people who heard this can.
 
Mar 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 8

obobskivich

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Posts
11,206
Likes
589
Location
Barsoom
Grado GS-1000 or Audio-Technica ATH-W1000X come to mind for me. Both will be very easily driven, and are quite comfortable (imho). I have no idea on the TH-900, but the Denon AH-D5000 (which are no longer made) would probably have been a good candidate as well, now that I think about it (why does this matter? because they share a common manufacturer (Foster) and are generally regarded as being from similar cloth).
 
Mar 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 8
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Posts
17,245
Likes
10,498
Location
Fukuoka, Japan
obob: The Fostex are similar to the Denons in frequency response but with much better sound quality. The Yen is coming down and so is the price of the Fostex and he'll have no trouble selling them on if he doesn't like them, so I reckon yes for the TH900s. This from a fan of Peter Hurford's rendition of Bach, so I get what the OP is after.
 
Mar 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 8

customcoco

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 27, 2011
Posts
1,682
Likes
84
Quote:
Grado GS-1000 or Audio-Technica ATH-W1000X come to mind for me. Both will be very easily driven, and are quite comfortable (imho). I have no idea on the TH-900, but the Denon AH-D5000 (which are no longer made) would probably have been a good candidate as well, now that I think about it (why does this matter? because they share a common manufacturer (Foster) and are generally regarded as being from similar cloth).


+1 for the W1000x. Now the gs1000's pretty much the polar opposite in term of sound signature..
 
Mar 11, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 8

ddoyle777

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 11, 2008
Posts
118
Likes
33
Thanks for the replies.  I decided to take a chance and get the TH900s.  Headroom is so easy to deal with that I can send them back if they don't work out.  Frankly, I'll be very surprised if they don't.
 
Appreciate the time you took to reply.
DD
 
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 8

Cante Ista

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 15, 2012
Posts
852
Likes
20
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.  I decided to take a chance and get the TH900s.  Headroom is so easy to deal with that I can send them back if they don't work out.  Frankly, I'll be very surprised if they don't.
 
Appreciate the time you took to reply.
DD

cool. Tell us how they work out. 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top