Best headphones for a certain type of music
Feb 27, 2015 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ematthews

100+ Head-Fier
Just asking opinions here for some feedback in case I am missing some brands. I listen to Progressive rock. A lot of it from Porcupine Tree to Rush etc etc. I am looking for a very detailed and wide sound stage. Good low end too I am leaning towards picking up Senn HD650. I owned these a long time ago but can't remember how they sound. I also can't afford Beyer T1's again like I owned in the past. I purchased the Philips X2 and thought the mids were very recessed and hidden. This is just for reference. Any suggestions?

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 23
The Sennheiser HD580/600/650 don't have particularly big soundstages unlike the HD700/800. If you want a very detailed and wide soundstage then the HD650 would not be a good choice. Headphones with detail and wide soundstage are often expensive. Perhaps Beyerdynamics DT660/DT880 or Audio Technica's ATH-AD900.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 23
DT 880's soundstage isn't big either and I'd even say it is smaller than the Sennheiser's (from what I've experienced).

The AKG K712 could be worth listening to as it has a wide soundstage and emphasized lows without neglecting the highs.
Propably there could be a little too much treble for your tastes, but I think they're worth a try.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 23
Thanks. I forgot to add I had the Grado PS500 a while back ago. Not sure why I sold them. They sounded great but I think it was I couldn't wear them for over 30-40 minutes at a time. I even tried the bigger cups but the sound suffered. I hear the Senn HD700 might be what I am after.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 23
The HD700 will be more comfortable than the PS500. It does share a charachteristic of Grado's in that its frequency response is unbalanced unlike the HD600/800. Getting a headphone amplifier is a must with rhis headphone. Beyerdynamic's DT990 also might be a good choice as it has boosted bass also and will be cheaper, you can choose between 32/250/600 ohm impedance.

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 23
I have two amps I can use. The Ballari amp and also my Primaluna Premium Hp Tube integrated. 800 is way out of my price range. The 700 being right at $600 is top of my price range...

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 23
  DT 880's soundstage isn't big either and I'd even say it is smaller than the Sennheiser's (from what I've experienced).

The AKG K712 could be worth listening to as it has a wide soundstage and emphasized lows without neglecting the highs.
Propably there could be a little too much treble for your tastes, but I think they're worth a try.

+1 on the 712.
IMO they're very "right" for the tonalities, dynamics, and sense of space
found in much of Prog - from the older stuff (70's Yes, King
Crimson, pretty much all of the Canterbury stuff; moving onto
Dream Theater, Tool... - they're very, very good headphones.
Not faultless, but for me the best in the price range for
that kind of music.  Airier and more detailed than the
Senn HD650's.

I've not heard the Grado 325e's (yet), but if I were in your
shoes I'd be sure to give them a listen.  (I have the RS1i's
which are out of production.)

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #9 of 23
I owned the AKG Q701 and thought they were good. Big problem was they were to big for my small head.. They always sat loose on my head. I wonder how the K712 would do. These are interesting with the added bass.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 23
  I owned the AKG Q701 and thought they were good. Big problem was they were to big for my small head.. They always sat loose on my head. I wonder how the K712 would do. These are interesting with the added bass.

Just got my 712s yesterday. My first thought was.........wow these are big. LOL

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #11 of 23
  Just got my 712s yesterday. My first thought was.........wow these are big. LOL

May have to pass... I think I am going to pull the trigger on another set of the HD650. Can't go wrong with them and do you see how cheap they are on Amazon right now.. Holy crap. Last time I purchased them they were 480.00...

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #12 of 23
  May have to pass... I think I am going to pull the trigger on another set of the HD650. Can't go wrong with them and do you see how cheap they are on Amazon right now.. Holy crap. Last time I purchased them they were 480.00...

I got my 650s a few weeks ago. They are positively clamps compared to the 712s. I got the 712s because they were roughly the same design as my Philips X2s which are very comfortable but, nearly as big on the head as the 712s. I'll put up with them being a bit large for the comfort.

Back on topic. My 712s are now my 'go to' cans for Jazz.
L3000.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 23
  I got my 650s a few weeks ago. They are positively clamps compared to the 712s. I got the 712s because they were roughly the same design as my Philips X2s which are very comfortable but, nearly as big on the head as the 712s. I'll put up with them being a bit large for the comfort.

Back on topic. My 712s are now my 'go to' cans for Jazz.
L3000.gif

I owned the HD650 before and they were my 2nd most comfortable can just after the Beyer T1. It's been a while however since having both of them.The AKG required me wearing a beanie hat just to fit... Ha... I am just getting back into headphones, so I know I will own more than a few. Let's just hope my income can pick up.
etysmile.gif

Mar 1, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #15 of 23
I got my 650s a few weeks ago. They are positively clamps compared to the 712s.

On the HD650 by removing the tabs at either end of the headband you can detach the earcups from the headband (also unplug the cables). You can then gently bend the metal arc outwards to loosen the headphones. Never bend the headband to loosen them or the plastic will crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back