best headphones at around 150$ for music(classic rock, jazz, hip hop and alot more), watching media and gaming
Jul 13, 2019 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Dragonorp

New Head-Fier
new to the headphones game and want to get myself a good first one. I plan to use this headphones for all stuff around the house and outside if they let me(open vs closed back)

I listen to alot of genres but most focus on classic rock, rock in general. mainly gravitate to real instruments songs but also go to hip hop and rap once in a while. plan to use them also for gaming(overwatch, multiply singleplayer and more) and of course media consumption(movies and tv).

prefer headphones that can run also good without a amp/dac cus if I get one it not now and also I prefer less complications with my listening, just plug and play with non of dongle life(maybe will get the earStudio es100 or the dragonfly black)

the mid-fi scene as I can see is very confusing, alot of great stuff but you dont know what the best to buy.
I was recommended the hd 599 but not sure its the best.

plan to buy them on prime day so I can get a headphones for like 100$.

open to a lot of suggestions

tnx in advance to every help you give.

Jul 13, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #2 of 3
new to the headphones game and want to get myself a good first one. I plan to use this headphones for all stuff around the house and outside if they let me(open vs closed back)

I listen to alot of genres but most focus on classic rock, rock in general. mainly gravitate to real instruments songs but also go to hip hop and rap once in a while. plan to use them also for gaming(overwatch, multiply singleplayer and more) and of course media consumption(movies and tv).

prefer headphones that can run also good without a amp/dac cus if I get one it not now and also I prefer less complications with my listening, just plug and play with non of dongle life(maybe will get the earStudio es100 or the dragonfly black)

the mid-fi scene as I can see is very confusing, alot of great stuff but you dont know what the best to buy.
I was recommended the hd 599 but not sure its the best.

plan to buy them on prime day so I can get a headphones for like 100$.

open to a lot of suggestions

tnx in advance to every help you give.
You have to ask yourself if you want wireless of not. (since you mentioned the ES100..it sounds possible). For ME....and the experience I've had with different flavors...for 150.00 ...I would choose the Audioquest Nighthawk. You might be able to get it for that. They are super comfy. Also very polarizing. Some hate them. I happen to think they're great. I eq the mid bass down a bit which I find opens them up nicely.

I'm not sure what you have access to...obviously the best thing to do is audition them in person. Otherwise it's a big crapshoot.

Good luck in your search.

Bern

edit...since I am not into gaming...can't offer any advice on if the NH would work or not.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 3
A great all around headphone that gets overlooked a lot is the Phillips Fidelio L2...your title says you want to be around $150, they have been hovering around $180 for a while now, but I got mine on sale for $100 a few years ago, so it's possible. They are comfortable, extremely well made, the sound signature is versatile.....I think they are a great headphone for rock, but man, they can bring the bass, so they perform well with hip hop as well, which is not something a lot of headphones can pull off. They are really efficient, so you don't need an amp, they will sound great out of most any phone or laptop.
Here's a full review of them:
http://www.headfonia.com/the-phenomenal-philips-fidelio-l2-feat-fidelio-m1bt-review/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back