Best Headphones around £100 max
Jun 11, 2009 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Neil27

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for the best headphones for around or under £100 as an upgrade for my current Technics rp-f350 phones. I listen to many types of music Rock, metal, electonic, classical... mainly Rock though. i would like a detailed sound with a nice soundstage.

I have had my eye on the Grado SR-80's. from reviews, they sound very appealing.

any others to consider? and how would they compare?

Thanks for any help!

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 13
AD700 or MS-1. The MS-1 is similar to Grados but better suited for multiple music genres. Id get the MS-1 if you want to go with a Grado can. The MS-1 wont have much of a soundstage though, especially compared to the AD700.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD700 or MS-1. The MS-1 is similar to Grados but better suited for multiple music genres. Id get the MS-1 if you want to go with a Grado can. The MS-1 wont have much of a soundstage though, especially compared to the AD700.

Interesting.. Will have to look into those AD700's and how they would compare to a SR80 or even 125.

Is the soundstage such as instrument sepration etc.. not as good on grado type phones then? because ive heard they are good at that

.. Also about the multiple genres, i would be happy with them exceling in rock/metal, guitar music and just being 'ok' with others. as 80% of what i listen to is that.

BTW.. does anyone in London know of a good store where i could maybe try some of these headphones out?

Thanks for the info.. any other recomendations?

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 13
Personally, I've been very content with my pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm headphones. They were, for me anyway, less sharp than Ultrasone's DJ1's, and I found they had a much more enjoyable overall sound.
The DT770's are excellent for that price range for electronic, rock, and metal.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #8 of 13
I find the AD700 overrated, didn't like it very much and sold it after a week straight of burn in. It was good, but I didn't like it for my genres.

The MS-1 is supremely better (borrowed friends for almost a week now, MS-1i is on order right now) for rock/guitar music. Acoustic is excelled in the AD700 however.

I'm not a basshead and the AD700 has no bass, it was very anemic - some like to say this sounds natural... but I beg to differ.

Also some people make it sound like Grado/Alessandro cans can't do movies/games - they just don't do it as well as say.. an AD700. I do use my RX700s more for movies because of the bass. But, if this is just for music and games/movies on the side, and for rock/metal/etc. get the MS-1. It sounds really good for those genres (or if you want a brighter sound, go for Grados).

AD700 for classical/jazz or anything that requires big soundstage, MS-1 for upfront music and more details.

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 13
Thanks for all the replys.

How do the MS-1's compare to the SR-80's? Because arent the MS-1's 'moded' versions of the SR-80? In what way are they different? which is better overall?

Oh and if the AD700's are weak on bass i probably wont like them. i seem to prefer warmer weightyer sounding phones.

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i seem to prefer warmer weightyer sounding phones.

imo sr80 gives that. The bass is weighty and warm in them. But its also pretty quality. I listen rock myself. Been listening my CD s now, and they sound nice. Cannot go badly wrong with sr80 s if listening rock. There could be a bit better headphones < 100£, but because sr80 does not have any big weaknesses, the difference cannot be big.

I am just now listening a rock song where the bass player plays very low notes, and its weighty/big but still quality. Most of the time I am able to hear clearly what the bass player is doing, even when listening at low levels.

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 13
cool.. the sr80's sound great.

The only thing im worrying about is the fit on the ear.. im used to fully over ear phones, and these are not, anyone have anything to say about them regarding the fit and comfort compared to soming else in the price range such as the fully over ear AD700..

Also they do look a little flimsy? how are they?

Thanks everyone!

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #12 of 13
Neil, if you're near London there's a place on Tottenham Court Road that has Grados that you can try, can't remember the name of the place... My impression of the SR80s is that they sound really nice with good mids especially, but don't have a big soundstage.

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #13 of 13
cool. will take a look around there. thanks.

Its a shame about the soundstage, because the grados sound like perfect phones except everyone says it has a narrow/small soundstage. will have to have a listen i think, although im not too great at testing equipment, it always takes me at least a few hours to analyze and come to a conclusion over hi fi stuff.
rolleyes.gif

does anyone have anything to say about the comfort and build quality of the grados? because all similar phones look so much more well build and genrally bigger ear cups band. do the grado's design bother anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back